Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!  (Read 107265 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2011, 07:40:25 AM »

Thanks.  I suspect that the bone in that area is healing as it became very painful in the afternoon, a good dose of pain relief sorted it and I slept all night.  Hopefully will get some respite before the next session  ::)

viv

« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »

I have a dental question and this seemed to be the place to post.

Daughter was at dentist today for three fillings. She was given 4 full injections and while she was in the chair I had the feeling all was not well. I asked her a few times if she was ok and she did respond to me. It was not until I got her outside that she told me the world had gone a bit funny. The room was fuzzy and the dentists voice was very far away. The dentist had to stop drilling because it was painful and she said she could not give her any more injections. The tooth is now dressed and patched and she will have to start again.
When she came home she went to bed and has slept for about four hours.
Obviously four injections were too many for someone of her size. We will tell the dentist but I am concerned this will happen again. Is there another option in the type of local anesthetic they can use?
Has anyone else had this happen to them.

Honeyb
x

Eddie

« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »

HoneyB, i've already said about my funny turn at dentist, i thought i was going to have a heart attack. Maybe the adrenalin was too much, or as the dentist at the hospital told me it could leak into the blood. Hope she feels better, is this her first main filling with anesthetic? Eddie. x

viv

« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »

Hi Eddie

No she has had fillings and extractions before but this is the first time she has had so many injections at the one time. The dentist said she will give five full injections to an adult and four to a child of her age (tall but very very skinny).
She was also talking about giving her the same amount next time but just for this one tooth, and its way too much.

She had some macaroni cheese at 6pm and has slept until now. Came down stairs for a drink and is now asleep again. Thats not normal surely.

Honeyb
x

Eddie

« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »

My hubby passed out after having dental work done, he had four or five fillings, he ended up in hospital, they said it was shock from the jags. He actually collapsed in our living room, he was out cold for a few minutes and we had to call 999, who carted him off. Eddie. x

viv

« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »

Well I have to say daughter did not look great at all. She was very very pale and she said that her school shirt was stuck to her back with sweat. I think I will call and speak to the dentist before we go back so I can tell her honestly what happened. Daughter would be embarrassed if the conversation was in front of her (you know what they are like at this age)

Honeyb
x

Eddie

« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2011, 09:41:43 PM »

Did they give the injection time to work, i know that's why it has adrenalin in it, to speed it up, but maybe it still needed time rather than more anesthesia? Def try to find out before next trip. Eddie. x

Trey

« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »

You might have a look at this.  Dentist can give anesthetic injection without epinephrine.  Scary.  I had it once and my head started buzzing and I thought I was going unconscious.  Took hours to become ok.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a603002.html#side-effects

This one is total about DENTAL INJECTION:
http://www.drugs.com/pro/xylocaine-dental.html

The dentist needs to aspirate (withdraw with plunger to be sure not into a blood vessel) or give NO epi. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:00:43 PM by Taylor »

CLKD

« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »

Recently I had 4 injections - it depends on where the work is to be done as to which nerves need to be dulled so I had 2 into the bottom gum and 1 in the top of the tooth area and another in the roof of the mouth.  Because of the medication I am on he was unable to top it up towards the end of the treatment and it was like having a swarm of bees in my mouth every time he sutured. 

I think you should have a talk with the dentist and explain how DD was after treatment so that if necessary, another local anaesthetic can be used.

Trey

« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2011, 12:03:03 PM »

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/allergy-novacaine/

This is a good article, explaining what the vast majority are allergic or sensitive to in dental injections.  It seems that it is not epinephrine that causes true allergy, but instead other components of the injection.  But epi side effects are the probable cause of most reactions in my thinking.  So the question is: Side effects or true allergy?

My biggest reaction was buzzing in the head and feeling of going unconscious so mine WAS an epi side effect.

So the question is: is one reacting to components in the injection or is one having a 'normal' side effect of the injection.  I get my anesthetic without epi and do fine, so mine was side effect, not allergy per se.

CLKD

« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »

How's the mouth Taz?

Taz2

« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2011, 12:05:47 PM »

Hmmm it's not good at the minute. I need to go back to the doc to have some more of the sealant put around the gum. I have never paid much attention to the "shrinking gums" news but now I realise how painful it makes your teeth. I have started on Sensodyne - better late than never. Thank you for asking as it has made me think about it more and I will phone the dentist tomorrow.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »

I go for my next session in 2 weeks' time  :-X

Trey

« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »

Taz,  I got a Water Pik about two months ago and my receding gums have come down to almost normal.  I think the pulsating water (I add a bit of salt) has somehow stimulated growth.  Also, I find my night guard tends to push the gums up somewhat.  Do you have Water Piks in UK?

Taz2

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »

Oooh - I don't know - will have a search  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30