Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Chickens Yay!  (Read 17714 times)

Dede

Re: Chickens Yay!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »

We've found out what was attacking the hens !!!
 My OH saw a large pole-cat in the garden a couple of nights ago. We knew it wasnt a fox that took them because of the remains that were left. We live in a small town with fields close by but my OH thinks the pole cat was probably a pet that escaped and is now wild. Very worried about our hens.

Taz2

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »

There is info here about polecats http://www.ypte.org.uk/animal/polecat/160  Remember that if you can secure your chickens at night (polecats hunt at night and not during the day unless really hungry) the polecat will keep any rats and mice down. Mind you the smell of their scent marking might put you off!

Taz x

Dede

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »

Thanks for that Taz ,OH said he's happy for it to be around as long as it keeps away from the hens.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 08:34:26 PM »

If it's an escaped polecat it will be a ferret  ;) which are fed on mince, raw egg, milk mixed up with cereal several times a week.  As well as odd bits of poultry with feathers on.  It is not something you should encourage but if it is a 'tame' one it will come up to you eventually.  Do let your local pet shop etc. know in case someone has lost a working ferret.

Cleaned out the chicken run today, will be putting down fresh compost this week for them to rootle in ........

Taz2

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »

You mean it will be a polecat-ferret CLKD. It wont be a true ferret. It  may be a true polecat of course.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

My old lady is either 6 or 7 years old, however for a couple of days she hasn't eaten.  She's mooching.  I think she has sour crop so have been dribbling Actimel or Live yoghurt into her beak and this morning she's at least in the sunshine rather than hiding in the wendy house.  My fault, I gave them too many 'treats' last week   >:(  :-\ so Hubby is off to buy some Epsom salts to pour down her throat later.

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »

Our chickens get let our around 7.30 a.m. these lighter mornings.  They need access to fresh water and then I let them into the garden.  This will continue until Himself sets up the plot with vegies., as they will peck the tops out of parsnips, red beet etc.; at weekend they get a lie in  ;) as we tend not to get out of bed until after 8.00 a.m..  They take themselves off to bed at dusk, quietly wandering back to the hut so that predators don't notice.  I shut the pop hole down and pull the wire across once I've made sure they are all in or perching.  They pee and pooh in the night so roost over newspapers whcih get cleared out each morning.  It was hard work in the snow!

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »

Well!  the kitten got in with the quails on Monday morning, sitting purring in a pile of feathers  :'( - one quail completely gone, the other died of shock.

NOW: we have 5 girls aged 6 weeks old of various colours, now waiting for them to lay eggs  :-*

The 3 chickens are laying well on a daily basis!  Omlette anyone ;-)

terriw

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »

We got our 4 poulets 3 weeks ago. Two Black Marans and two Copper Black Marans. I think they must be about 10 -12 weeks old by now but they've more than doubled in size! I love them, so cute and yes, time wasters! I was told that they won't lay until Autumn. They will be called Emmy, Peggy, Doris and Ruth (or Lily, can't decide if naming a chicken after my late Mum is right or not...!)  :-\

I often wonder what a shock it must be for the poor little things when they've laid their first egg!!! :o :o

Should I be dusting their coop with the mite powder already or is it a seasonal thing?

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »

Dust where they are going to lay their eggs, dust where they make their bath .......... better to dust monthly than have to fight the blighters!  >:(- so far touch wood we haven't had mites in 5 years.  Chickens are usually point of lay at about 22 weeks old, unless they are later maturing birds.

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »

Our Bluebell began laying on 1 Dec., her way of welcoming Advent?  Wonder if each egg will be different inside  ;D ???.

The other 2 haven't taken the hint yet.  Bluebell [Cinders] went semi-naked for weeks, now she has all her feathers, comb is up, she's crouching on approach to welcome the cock  ::) - have told the other 2 to get their laughing gear into action and start laying, 'cos it's That Time of Year  :P

Meggie

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »

Today our chooks haven't laid.  We can only put it down to the weather as they usually produce 3 per day however, 2 of the girls are moulting - there are feathers everywhere.  The storms we have had these past few days haven't helped either, we think they've put the birds off lay.  The wind was so violent last night it was swirling round the garden and snapped off a 4 year old, 8ft high Red Robin Bush I had in the garden - such a shame but no other damage ........ except the wooden chairs on the deck by the pool had been moved down the garden.  Is it possible to buy wellies for chickens as they are squelching around - the wind bought heavy rain today - it was constant? 

Meggie

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2011, 08:38:33 PM »

Chickens hate the wet and wind  :(-  It is probably hormones more than anything which has put them off lay, they can't produce keratin/calcuim for eggs and feathers at the same time.

2 of ours are laying again  :-*

terriw

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »

My four ladies are still laying every day, their eggs are getting bigger and bigger too. Will they stop soon do you think?

They've never moulted - do all chickens moult?

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »

If they are Point of Lay then they are unlikely to moult hardly during their first year, then a bit the next - or they will then go the whole hog and look oven ready  ::) it sounds like yours are young 'uns as the eggs are getting bigger.  Any double yolkers yet? or 'ouch' eggs?  Ours are slowly getting their laying gear into action again!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6