Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Blood donors urgently required  (Read 204 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Blood donors urgently required
« on: July 25, 2024, 02:00:56 PM »

The NHS is appealing for people with O-type blood to urgently come forward and donate, after blood stocks dropped to "unprecedently low" levels in England.

Officials said it follows a "perfect storm" of unfilled appointments at donor centres and increased demand following a cyber-attack which has affected services in London.

O negative blood - known as the universal blood type - is safe for all patients. It is used in emergencies or when a patient's blood type is unknown.

Lesred

Re: Blood donors urgently required
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 04:33:18 PM »

Hi CLKD yes I saw this alert, I’ve never donated before but was feeling increasingly bad as I’m O negative so made a conscious effort to get an appt today! Firstly had to wait over half an hour online just to get to registration page, then finally signed up only to discover my nearest donation centre is about 12 miles away and just as I’d decided on a day I could fit in the round trip the website crashed!

Grrr they don’t make it easy! But I will continue to persevere!

Moan over!

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 05:13:07 PM »

I've never donated (much to my shame) and now I'm too old.

Taz x  :(

Lesred

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 05:30:37 PM »

Aww Taz I’ve left it to the last few years possible, excuse was having lived in Africa for 9 years over 35 yrs ago! No longer a good excuse! If I’m honest I’m a little squeamish about it  :o

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 05:43:48 PM »

Hello ladies.

I am O negative and I began donating in the a1980s. My daughter is O positive and is also a regular donor. Apparently her blood type is used mainly for premature babies and since becoming a mother herself she is even more determined to continue.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2024, 06:16:40 PM »

Wouldnt' you think that GP Surgeries would be taking the blood if the situation is urgent?

I think that I am an 'a' group ....... it's in my SOS bracelet and probably on my medical notes.  We should have our group tattooed on our ankles at birth ;-).

I too would be Squemish, I don't think that you get a cuppa with biscuit these days!

Taz2

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2024, 06:38:46 PM »

txn. 

Lesred

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2024, 09:24:15 PM »

Wouldnt' you think that GP Surgeries would be taking the blood if the situation is urgent?

I think that I am an 'a' group ....... it's in my SOS bracelet and probably on my medical notes.  We should have our group tattooed on our ankles at birth ;-).

You’d think so wouldn’t you? Make it as easy as possible!

I like the tattoo idea  ;D

VioletAquarius

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2024, 10:49:00 PM »

I don't know what blood type I am.

I have, for a long time, thought I'd like to give blood, but I can't, as I had a blood transfusion years ago, before that date it's said you can't donate before (sorry, don't know the date).

Also, I can't donate due to my underactive thyroid.

AKatieD

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2024, 09:02:25 AM »

They wont take my O-ve any more, despite letter from consultant supporting the donation.

I had an instance of Afib last year but don't now have it or take any meds for it. Just got outright refusal despite cardiac consultant saying should not be a problem for me (or recipient) and sending the letter to Blood service.

Also a lot of donation centres were shut a few years ago (before Covid) and it became hard to get appointments (typical wait near me several months) - making it more difficult to donate is likely to affect supplies.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 09:09:11 AM by AKatieD »