Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: BBC Strictly 2024/25 - and other sports  (Read 365 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
BBC Strictly 2024/25 - and other sports
« on: July 22, 2024, 01:25:23 PM »

Any chance that the 20th series will be pulled, what with the various 'outings' between celebrities and professionals?  Whilst the public understands that the background to learning a new dance may well be more physical and demanding than initially realised, aren't all the celebs adults?  If a contestant is asked to do a jump for example but feels that he hasn't the capacity, then why not tell the professional a firm 'no'?

No good crying over spilt milk I was told.  Speak up or shut up. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 03:31:05 PM by CLKD »

Ayesha

Re: BBC Strictly 2024/25
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2024, 01:56:20 PM »

They didn't sign up to be spat at, kicked, bullied and slapped. They don't speak out because of the backlash from social media, death threats for instance and the fear of never working again in the media. One of the professionals has already admitted his behaviour in the training room.
In recent years the focus has been more and more on the professional dancers and not the celebrities and the obsession to win the trophy has come at any cost.
The sparkle for me has gone from strictly, it will never be the same again.

CLKD

Re: BBC Strictly 2024/25
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2024, 01:57:57 PM »

Agreed.  Even so, the celebrities should be able to back off a bit ......... that may be age talking on my part of course.  I wonder whether Anton will remain as a Judge?  :-\

CLKD

Re: BBC Strictly 2024/25 - and other sports
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 03:31:24 PM »

Charlotte Dujardin, Britain's joint-most decorated female Olympian, has pulled out of Paris 2024 after a video emerged showing her "making an error of judgement".

The six-time dressage medallist said she is under investigation from the International Federation for Equestrian Sports (FEI) and will "withdraw from all competition while this process takes place".

The 39-year-old also said she was under investigation from the British Equestrian Federation and British Dressage.

"What happened was completely out of character and does not reflect how I train my horses or coach my pupils, however there is no excuse," she said in statement.

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 04:53:06 PM »

Out of character??no way,sadly in the horse world that kind of treatment is very much IN character  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2024, 06:24:07 PM »

Sometimes a long carriage whip is used to move the horse on from behind because it can see behind and sideways.  So the 'threat' is enough without touching the animal.  Circus chaps used to have a whip in one hand and a chair in the other to make themselves larger when working with the big cats.

Several years ago we went to a dog event, mainly border collies being trained ......... these are dogs that 'work' sheep in the main by crouching down, moving behind in a low position B4 running to bring the sheep back into the herd: these dogs were being pulled by the neck to walk 'at heel' etc..  DH wouldn't let me interfere, we had to leave otherwise I would have 'done time'!   It was a totally un-natural stance for the collies to work ........

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 06:43:45 PM »

Out of character??no way,sadly in the horse world that kind of treatment is very much IN character  >:(

Indeed, she looked so relaxed and calm as she whipped away at the poor horse. Shame on her!

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2024, 07:19:42 PM »

Absolutely appalling,Ayesha,having been a horse woman for many years,I'd have NEVER used a lunge whip on a horse like that,wouldn't have been so bad if she was gently tapping it but if you watch the video clkd,you'll see she is using it full force.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2024, 08:00:18 PM »

I can't watch  :'(.  Why don't the horses react, mayB a few bites and kicks would stop all this.  I remember a certain show jumper getting fined as he was riding horses over solid fences at home, 1 could tell because the horses would tuck up their hind legs when in the show ring  >:(

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2024, 06:32:02 AM »

If we use animals as entertainment,the cruelty will never stop  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2024, 09:04:52 AM »

:'(

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2024, 02:54:31 PM »

I hate it when other professionals chip in ...... hopefully their own stables are squeaky clean!! These were supposed team 'mates'  :-\

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2024, 05:17:32 PM »

Sadly these techniques are used widely for dressage horses,they don't walk,trot & canter like that naturally but she was really hammering that horse,totally unnecessary  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2024, 05:29:10 PM »

The kick back however is natural against predators, it was encouraged during Medieval times to protect both horse and Knight.  They will also jump vertically when scared if they can't escape.  It's the action of hocks under the bum which never looks natural.