Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: View on Hysteroscopy from Senior Consultant  (Read 187 times)

HellsBells

View on Hysteroscopy from Senior Consultant
« on: July 18, 2024, 09:55:06 AM »

Hi all - I though this might be interesting for some. I paid for my mum to go private for a consultant with a top gynaecologist. She was sexually assaulted as a young woman and I wanted her with someone very experienced. She has to have a hysteroscopy and is having a GA for a short time while he works.

Interestingly, he says (off the record) it is a bit of a scandal that women are asked to submit to these without any anaesthesia and only minimal pain relief. His own sister had one on the NHS and says it was incredibly painful. She has had several other gynae procedures but this one is 'special'.

Before those who have had decent experiences pile on, it must be noted that it is AWFUL for many women and if an eminent consultant in his field (also works in the NHS) considers the protocol out of date it should be made clear. Obviously I am protecting his identity.

This is a national scandal and as with many women's health issues it is ignored until there is widespread suffering (mesh anyone?) As a former medical lawyer I will report these helpful bits of info to ensure that at least women are given a CHOICE. Those who are tough - fill your boots, but many women have a terrible time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: View on Hysteroscopy from Senior Consultant
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2024, 10:04:57 AM »

I think that patients forget that we have the 'right' to decide whether to undergo a procedure/not.  Many are still in thrall of the medical profession.  Also it is often the case that patients are not offered a Nurse in the appt. when personal examinations take place.  It is useful to have a 2nd person present to ask questions of later.   As a medical secretary I was often asked to 'explain' what had been suggested  ::)

Tnx for sharing. 

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2024, 10:05:40 AM »

Hi apologies if you already know about this, but there is a campaign against having a hysteroscopy without an anaesthetic.
https://www.hysteroscopyaction.org.uk

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 12:27:39 PM »

I think that patients forget that we have the 'right' to decide whether to undergo a procedure/not.

Tnx for sharing.
Often a certain amount of coercion though with the threat of withdrawal of hrt if doctor’s back isn't appropriately protected.

HellsBells

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 12:55:33 PM »

Hi apologies if you already know about this, but there is a campaign against having a hysteroscopy without an anaesthetic.
https://www.hysteroscopyaction.org.uk

I didn't know this - thanks!

Jules

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 02:41:22 PM »

I can't find my post but after my MP contacted the relevant minister,  I did share the links she gave me to the draft protocol that was being peer reviewed. It has been debated in parliament.  It's a bit concerning that the consultant doesn't know what has been going on in 5he background. Makes me wonder whether the change in guidance will make any difference,  or even if all will read it. Thanks for sharing though as mine was agony, barbaric and I'm by no means soft.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 04:33:58 PM »

Jules - have U looked through your Profile to see which threads you have responded to?  It may take a while as pages do whizz through quite quickly.

Is this it?  Update regarding painful hysteroscopy
« on: April 19, 2024, 12:49:44 PM »

I wanted to let you know I've had a reply from my MP, I also  actually bumped into her so had a quick chat. She's offered to contact the minister involved for an update, raise a parliamentary question and also contact the local NHS Trust to find out how they're implementing the good practice guidance published by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.  When I checked my consent form that was hurriedly presented to me for signing, the statement about me understanding "I will/will not be given local anaesthesia " hadn't even been crossed out appropriately.  It wasn't even discussed. It's taken a few nights to stop having flashbacks to that experience.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 04:35:57 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2024, 05:11:40 PM »

We makes a good Team we does  ;D

VioletAquarius

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2024, 10:15:04 PM »

Thanks for sharing this HellsBells.