Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sertraline  (Read 46 times)

shel_g

• First Flush
Sertraline
« on: July 15, 2024, 07:50:03 PM »

Hi
I started with health anxiety about 6 months ago, I started HRT but this didn’t help with my anxiety. I have physical symptoms chest pain/ stomach pain, pain between my shoulder blades and headaches.  Sometimes full panic attacks.  I became obsessed thinking I was going to die.  My GP prescribed me Sertraline, which I was really nervous about taking. I started of on 25mg for the first week, the side effects where really bad my anxiety got a lot worse, really bad headaches, no appetite and insomnia.  I spoke to my GP and she said if I can put up with the side effects for a bit longer I would feel the benefits.  I’m now on 50mg which I have been on for 10 days,  my anxiety is getting better slowly and the side effects have gone apart from the insomnia but it’s not quite as bad. I had my first CBT therapy last week, so im hoping this helps. I’m still really nervous of taking it. Does anyone know if alcohol can affect the Sertraline, I’m not a big drinker but I used to enjoy a glass of wine on a weekend, I never have anymore than 2/3 glasses but I am too scared to have a drink.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sertraline
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 08:06:07 PM »

Do not drink with other medication for the 1st few weeks.  Otherwise alcohol may impact the uptake of what has been prescribed.  Alcohol is also a depressive.

:welcomemm:  So pleased that you have been able to get over the side effects, keep on with Sertraline for at least 6 months. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Let us know how you get on.

Jules

Re: Sertraline
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 10:18:16 PM »

Hi
I started with health anxiety about 6 months ago, I started HRT but this didn’t help with my anxiety. I have physical symptoms chest pain/ stomach pain, pain between my shoulder blades and headaches.  Sometimes full panic attacks.  I became obsessed thinking I was going to die.  My GP prescribed me Sertraline, which I was really nervous about taking. I started of on 25mg for the first week, the side effects where really bad my anxiety got a lot worse, really bad headaches, no appetite and insomnia.  I spoke to my GP and she said if I can put up with the side effects for a bit longer I would feel the benefits.  I’m now on 50mg which I have been on for 10 days,  my anxiety is getting better slowly and the side effects have gone apart from the insomnia but it’s not quite as bad. I had my first CBT therapy last week, so im hoping this helps. I’m still really nervous of taking it. Does anyone know if alcohol can affect the Sertraline, I’m not a big drinker but I used to enjoy a glass of wine on a weekend, I never have anymore than 2/3 glasses but I am too scared to have a drink.

My son has taken sertraline for a few years for anxiety and severe anxiety attacks. He drinks with no effects but Im not sure if he did at the beginning, I cant remember. I know he had to ride it out a bit to get the dose right but to be honest that and CBT saved him, he was in a bad state about to lose his job. He is now doing very well. Still has anxiety but not anywhere near as bad and he is able to manage it. He's a different person to back then. Id ask the pharmacist about the alcohol mix. Obviously everyone is different but I can say my son has his good nights out and is fine