Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Heavy periods, newbie here.  (Read 924 times)

Felicity1

Heavy periods, newbie here.
« on: July 10, 2024, 03:02:11 PM »

Hi all,
     Feel better coming here, knowing we are in the same boat.  Over 50 and still in Peri ... Periods have been up and down last month.  Heavy then light, spotting on and off for a couple of weeks.  Then my periods came back this month. :( Is this normal? Never had this before?  Am I a late Perimenopause women?
Thanks.
Felicity
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 08:00:02 PM by Felicity1 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here, I'm not alone
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 03:57:56 PM »

It's within normal limits for most of us.    :welcomemm:  mine did that: usual cycle, then missed a lot, then 1 or several until they finally disappeared  ::)

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.   It's The Change - does what it says on the tin.

Browse round. Make notes ;-) and U R no longer alone  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 05:48:24 PM »

Perfectly normal I'm afraid. Some aren't meno till their early 60s, average is 51 or 52 I think - so you're  'normal' by that score too   :).

Felicity1

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 03:16:24 PM »

Hi,
    Thanks for the info.  Every month my periods usually heavy for the first few days and I have to take Tranexamic acid.  It is lighter this month, should I just leave it and put the medicine to one side? If it is heavy next month, I will take it then.     Does it affect gut, bowels too? Sometimes solid, soft or mushy. Only go once in the morning, so it is not diarrhoea.  I will keep a diary and food intake too.
Ta
Chat soon.  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2024, 04:52:42 PM »

Use the Tranexamic acid when the bleeding is exceptionally heavy.  If there's a lighter flow you shouldn't require it.  My periods were heavy++: clotting, excruciating pains, nausea - 10 days on, 10 days off!  Wasn't aware that there was any medication to help at the time.  It was 'normal' 4 me . 

Hormones can certainly upset the digestive system.  In my 30s, the night B4 a bleed I would cry and 10 mins B4 it began I would have to dash to the loo: no arguments!  Even if a period wasn't due!  By then I was on a 28 day cycle so knew more or less when I should bleed.  Had to check my calendar B4 booking anything anywhere!

How do you feel in general?  For many years I have had slow transit  ::).  Last period was 2002. 

bombsh3ll

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2024, 05:38:50 PM »

Hi Felicity,

You don't have to put up with all this bleeding - there are multiple options capable of achieving amenorrhea even if you are outwith the recommended age range for the combined pill.

Have you spoken to your GP about bleed free options?

Tranexamic acid is just an emergency stop gap in my opinion, it doesn't address the root problem or prevent further bleeding episodes.

I also can't understand why a medication whose mechanism of action is to induce blood clotting is frequently perceived as safer than hormonal treatment.

Felicity1

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 04:42:41 PM »

Hi again.
        Thanks for comments, input. I'm seeing my GP this week. First time my periods are  lighter this month. If I do start taking something, HRT or alternative. I wouldn't know if I am approaching Menopause. Might wait next month if I have less periods or any changes. I have been reading stories on the BALANCE apps, some people get irregular bleeds and spotting.   I assumed Menopause  is 12 months periods free...? 
Ta
 ;)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 08:30:56 AM »

Peri-menopause can cause periods to fluctuate.  12 months without a bleed should be into menopause.  However, Nature might thrown in a curved ball  ::).  Mine waxed and waned then disappeared, I didn't realise for months ..........

Felicity1

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2024, 03:06:23 PM »

Hi CLKD,
          It's nice to talk to a regular. Still learning to browse and do searches on this website. Useful information provided.
I have read somewhere Turmeric or some Collagen are good for joints, bones? I feel I have lost some muscle on my top half, but my belly and thighs still looks wobbly and big.  My friends, 2 in their 50s  and one in her 70s sailed through their transition and hardly any symptoms. Lucky them!
Anyone got any suggestions? I would how much calcium for a women in her 50s...?Thanks. Any help, suggestion or advice.. ;)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2024, 03:14:58 PM »

Many medics suggest that other than VitD supplements women shouldn't require anything extra if we have a good diet, a regular exercise regime and are well hydrated.  Some ladies here have said that our bodies don't absorb from food as we age.  Some supplements will be excreted if the body doesn't require them.  I think that it's iron that 1 has to be careful of.

Turmeric is the 'supplement' of the moment.  How much of any supplement would 1 need for it to B beneficial?  VitC for example, 1 couldn't eat/drink enough because the body gets rid and if we have enough in our diet ?  Turmeric has been used in Indian Cookery for Centuries but I haven't found any of the recent hype/information coming out of India  ::).  It also stains ;-).  Yellow  :D

If we add too much how will we know what is/not working?  Regular impact exercise should protect heart and bones.  Eating a good diet will also protect the jaw line which as with the long bones, requires activity to stop gums receding.  Which is why I opted for implants as without teeth the jaw will cause teeth to drop out  :o.  Gummy I don't want to be.   :-X ;D

It's about managing symptoms as they arrive.  I have been lucky thus far.  Do read the threads about vaginal atrophy ;-).

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2024, 08:30:24 AM »

Morning.  In the bath last night I was reading an article about Asian foodstuffs/herbs used often - there is a book due to be published - she tells of various drinks etc. that were made but doesn't tell of whether these helped/not. Using warmed milk with cardamon, turmeric, honey added ......... which is the problem with these types of article, in that they never tell both sides of the story  ::)

If I find the article and the energy I'll quote later on. 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2024, 09:52:22 AM »

Interestingly: there is no name to the author but her book "South Asian Beauty", HQ £25.00 1 August, is advertised  ::).  [The Telegraph Magazine, 13th July 2024] . Apparently she is Sonia Haria. 

Felicity1

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2024, 01:24:45 PM »

Hello again.  :)
  Made a quick check on the author 'Sonia Haria' in Amazon, she has a book and I googled her.   At the moment I'm not into the beauty side of me, focus on the health side.  Maybe I should be? Yep, Turmeric stains, had to be careful when I add to food.  Haven't use any food supplements yet. Supposed to go to my GP today, cancelled again. Hopefully next week no changes.. >:(   A number of Docs off sick.    Btw, some women gained weight and others lost weight. Feel skinny at the top half and my hip. Should I be concern? Is my body changing?
Weather warm today. Enjoying the sun? Relaxing? I'm gonna wait after 5pm, when the sunshine is not too bright. I'm not keen on the hot weather.
Chat soon.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2024, 02:00:25 PM »

I'm not keen on the heat either.

My apron dropped several years ago due to loss of oestrogen - middle aged spread - from above I look fatter, in the bath or bed I'm OK  ::)

Felicity1

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2024, 03:03:04 PM »

Hi CLKD,
      Do you have a good GP surgery? I wonder it is the same with other ladies here too... Supposed to see a doc, cancellation again! Hopefully next week be better. My surgery is always busy, the receptionist is unfriendly and always ask questions before booking for an appointment.  I don't wanna go into personal details or health issues out in the open. In the past, it was straight forward!  Also not digital, nothing hi tech.
Have a nice weekend.   
Pages: [1] 2