Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil and spotting  (Read 103 times)

Kcroucher76

Mirena coil and spotting
« on: July 10, 2024, 12:06:23 PM »

Hi all,
Just looking for reassurance.  had the coil fitted last April, and for the first 6-8 months had no periods, or spotting. Now more than year on, I’ve started spotting, it’s not heave, just that light pink when I wipe. Is this a normal thing? It’s the first time I’ve had the coil. I’m also in 3 pumps of oestrogel, and wondering if my hormones are fluctuating? I’m 47 and been in peri for nearly 3 years now. Any words of comfort from others.

Dazedandconfused

Re: Mirena coil and spotting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 01:28:42 PM »

Hi there :),

Not sure I can help but hopefully I can offer some comfort.  I've had my Mirena fitted in November last year and after a few weeks of spotting I had nothing until last month when I had same as you for a couple of weeks. I am 7 years post meno and only use one pump of gel so I mentioned it to the doctor who did an exam and swabs and found I had thrush, I had no symptoms whatsoever.  This could have been the cause of the spotting because it then stopped within a couple of days of treatment.  However, she referred me for a scan just to be on the safe side as I'm post meno and with the Mirena shouldn't really be bleeding, although she said it can happen.

Anyway I had the scan yesterday and the radiographer said all looked fine and the Mirena was in exactly the right place and doing its job.  I found this really reassuring as although I could feel the strings, I did wonder if it had moved and maybe that was causing the spotting.  So, I don't know what caused mine but I suspect it was the thrush. 

I'd mention it to your doctor just for peace of mind.  This menopause lark is such a rollercoaster ride, isn't it?!   :bighug: