Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone sensitivity, recurrent UTIs and stomach issues  (Read 188 times)

Scrumptious23

• First Flush

Hello, I have found this forum so helpful over the years and wondered if I could get some advice as I am struggling at the moment.

I am 50 years old and have been experiencing peri symptoms for over 10 years now. The symptoms started with menstrual migraines about 12 years ago and then it's been a case of a whole range of different symptoms including night sweats, palpitations, globus sensation and insomnia starting and stopping during that period. It often felt like one major symptom would stop only for another to start. I was able to manage and not allow the symptoms to interrupt my life and work until the palpitations became extreme in 2019 and then anxiety and brain fog started impacting both my home and work life after that.

I started HRT patches in April 2022 which really helped but then they seemed to stop being effective a year later. I was also getting quite crippling migraines on the progesterone patches. I started taking Oestrogel and Utrogestan in September 2023 and tend to get a 5-day migraine once I start the Utrogestan although it's not as bad as on the patches. The gyny has suggested I consider the Mirena coil or a laparoscopic hysterectomy. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with progesterone intolerance and if they found any solutions that worked for them?

I've had recurrent UTIs since December and the infection just keeps returning. I get the most awful gas with the infection and it's like gas is trapped in my abdomen. I'm taking Deflatin and Gaviscon which helps a bit (also helps with the silent reflux) but I just can't seem to get the gas out of my body. It's stopping me from doing everyday activities as I feel so unwell with it. I've had cultures checked each time and I've taken Nitrofurintoin and Trimethoprim but this is proving so hard to clear. I've been prescribed Vagifem which the GP says should help but I feel so rotten with it. I've had IBS for 25yrs and it's never been a problem like this. I've been taking Cysticlean and Biokult for months, and have just started having Symprove which was recommended by a friend. Two faecal calprotectin tests were elevated but my colonoscopy was clear and celiac test was negative. I've lost 3kg as eating is so uncomfortable. The gas and bubbling is there constantly and wakes me up at night. I feel exhausted as it's been going for 8 months and I don't want to go out with friends or on holiday. I think the UTI and gastro problems are linked but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced anything similar and found solutions?

I've been a single parent for 12 years and can manage my busy life but I really need to be well and right now, I feel totally worn down by the years of perimenopause. Thank you in advance for any advice and recommendations.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Progesterone sensitivity, recurrent UTIs and stomach issues
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 08:33:28 AM »

Morning.  R U Stateside?   :welcomemm:

Did your urine samples 'grow' any bugs?

Digestion can be altered as hormone levels rise and fall. I would get 'the runs' 10 mins B4 a bleed began even if a period wasn't due.  Over the years I had dreadful nausea before a bleed.  As well as incredible thirst.

Hysterectomy is major surgery and U may well need HRT after.  This should be discussed in detail so that you are aware of the ins and outs.

As for trapped wind: how is your diet overall?  Ultra processed foods can interfere with transit from top to bottom, literally.  The body doesn't actually digest most of UPF  passing through quickly leaving the body depleted of energy and sustenance.  This may well = wind!  Until recent years: from 17-65: I could eat almost anything in the way of cakes, crossaints etc. but have cut those out now.  I have suffered with slow transit for many years.

MayB write everything that you eat and drink for 3-4 days, 24/7.  There mayB a pattern in what is increasing the body to hold onto wind .  How is your exercise regime, as this can encourage bowel movements.  When I had bad IBS we could watch the wind progressing down ....... I would lay in the bath and my belly would be moving  :o

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2024, 01:27:33 PM »

R U able to pass wind downwards or burp upwards?

PennyD

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 01:48:55 PM »

Hi Scrumptious23,

I'm intolerant to most progesterones and have had some of your symptoms, which seem related to hormonal changes happening at the same time. A month ago I was diagnosed with Candidiasis, which may or may not be related to the menopause and was prescribed anti fungal medication which made a huge positive difference. I take apple cider vinegar every day in hot water and a strong probiotic, both of which have really helped treat and control digestive and stomach issues. As far as the progesterone goes, have you looked into Slynd? It contains drospirenone as a progesterone and is used for ladies like us who get debilitating symptoms with every other progesterone. It can be taken in daily pill form alongside your estrogen patches, gel or spray.
Hoping this helps and that you get some relief soon x

Scrumptious23

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 10:43:10 PM »

Thanks for replying so quickly CLKD. I’m based in the UK.

I’ve had lots of urine tests since December. Some have shown e-coli, some white blood cells and protein.

I find that massaging my abdomen can help release some of the gas but mostly the whole area just bubbles and makes wheezy noises night and day. I’m uncomfortable, even when in bed.

I try to avoid UPF and sugar as that seems to aggravate the stomach. I also don’t drink alcohol as I can’t tolerate even a glass of wine. I’m not sure coffee is good either. All the fun stuff is being taken away! 

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2024, 08:06:22 AM »

I believe that these are 'normal' in dip stick urine tests in a surgery, mayB have a chat with a Pharmacist to C what bugs should grow in order to warrant antibiotics.  Also why has your GP continued with ABs - by now he/she should be thinking outside of the box  ::)

How R your bowel movements?  Whilst wind is normal in the passage of the digestive system 24 hours or more of discomfort may warrant investigations.  My GP gave me I think: Motillium or Domperidome : to ease things through.

Let us know how y ou get on.