Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New here  (Read 512 times)

Kwhat

• First Flush
New here
« on: July 01, 2024, 03:32:58 PM »

Hello, I’m new here and am 38 with POI. I have been in the throws of peri the last five years and didn’t know what was wrong with me. This march marked my 1 year of an absent period. I had seen an endocrinologist in 2020 because I was born with classic galactosemia a rare metabolic disorder. 95% of females go through ovarian failure. The first appointment three years ago she wanted to ensure if I went four months without a period to see my family doctor. My family doc thought I was too young so I had to do digging for the initial endo meeting notes to show my doctor for another referral. Fast forward to April of this yeah, same endo wanted me to decide what treatment to go with and I went with a transdermal option, I could go with gel…I’d ideally like to stick with transdermal as I’m on RA meds that are oral pills. I initially decided to go with a patch.

I started with 0.025 patch twice a week and 100mg promertrium every night. I feel better but not like 100% I follow up with endo this week but totally unsure how to tell her how I’m doing.

Initially I felt great for the first few weeks but I hit a wall at the 7 or 8 week mark. She told me ideal dose is 50 so I know I’m on a low dose. The estrogen seems to “Peter” out. I feel great the first 24 hours or so after I put on a new patch and then I feel yucky again with increased brain fog and a mild hot flashes. I just worry about some side effects, bloating, acne, and well the unsighty look of the lint square from the patch. I mean patches are ok…sometimes a constant reminder of the POI and I’m single so I worry about telling a partner   (sometimes slight itching at patch site) but I don’t know what to tell her about how I’m doing because overall I’m feeling better (before this therapy I felt like I was slowly dying). Anyway don’t really know which way to go, I do know I need help with my sleep.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 02:47:39 AM by Kwhat »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 08:07:11 PM »

Hi!  peri-menopause can be a shock to many.   :welcomemm:

Hopefully members who have knowledge of your regime will be along.  It may be that it will take a few weeks B4 your settle.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress.

Browse round.  Make notes.  If there's nowt to tell, that's what to say to your Consultant. 

No girl/woman is too young to begin menopause symptoms.  Girls sometimes have no periods at all, a few may have some then stop.  Women with relatives that have an 'early' menopause are more likely to follow that pattern.  We are all different.

Sleep can become problematic too.  Having a quiet routine 1/5 hours B4 going to bed may help.  Switching off devices etc.

Also have a look at your overall diet and exercise regime.  Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

Re: New here
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 08:11:44 AM »

You could change to gel (oestrogel or sandrena) which you apply every day so your dose may be more consistent and you won't have to look at a patch. You should be on at least 50mcg to protect your heart and bones but you may find you need 100 to control your symptoms. My insomnia was from oestrogen deficiency. I think you should tell her it's better than it was but you still have uncontrolled symptoms so need more oestrogen.