Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Constant UTIs  (Read 546 times)

julsieblue

• First Flush
Constant UTIs
« on: June 29, 2024, 12:35:50 PM »

I’ve been suffering from recurrent UTIs - very painful :D :D and unpleasant. I’ve had constant rounds of antibiotics but the symptoms always return. They seem to be brought on by sex - I have an active and enjoyable sex life (second round relationship 🥰) but this is really throwing a spanner in the works. I’m on Evorel Conti patches, have been using HRT for c 5 years very successfully. Now my GP has added vaginal HRT in hope it can help with the UTIs, but so far no luck. The very frustrating thing is that when I had this issue previously, I started taking Mannose supplements daily which seemed to cure the issue entirely for several years, but they now seem to have stopped working 😥. I am wondering if others have experienced the same and what treatments they tried?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Constant UTIs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 01:43:25 PM »

Your GP is a little behind.  Have fresh urine samples been sent to a Lab to see if there is a bug?   How long have you been using 'vagifem' and hopefully, every night for least 2-3 weeks. 

Mannose won't replace loss of oestrogen.  I found that using 'ovestin' every night then alternate nights worked for me.  Others use 'sylc' or 'yes' moisturisers as well as the VA treatment.

When I get the need2P I take 2 Nurofen x 3 times a day to ease the nip as the urine flow shuts off.  Let us know how you get on.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and VA threads on the Forum and don't despair.  Regular correct treatment will ease symptoms, after a bit of Trial and Error.

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 03:51:09 PM »

You don't say how long you have been using topical oestrogen but it can take a long time for it to become effective. You have to constantly use it, every day until you start to feel better then think about reducing the dose, a moisturiser is also good to use. Its trial and error and a lot of patience to start with. 

bombsh3ll

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 05:59:02 PM »

Hi I remember what a pain postcoital UTI's were!

Firstly are you always emptying your bladder as soon as possible after intercourse to flush out any bacteria that have made their way into your urethra?

Secondly is your vagina well estrogenised? Evorel conti is only 50mcg of estradiol. You may well need to use vaginal estrogen too.

Thirdly - lubricants!

Finally if all else fails low dose prophylactic antibiotics can be really helpful. The honeymoon phase won't last forever.

Jules

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 06:12:25 PM »

Yes. I had that exact experience.  Never had a UTI but started when I was in a new relationship in later life. Triggered by sex. In the end my GP prescribed prophylactic ABs and I take one within 2 hours of having had sex. It sorted it.. I was also referred to a uro- gyny man and he prescribed vaginal estrogen.  I didn't use it, too scared reading through leaflet. Wish I had done. I now use it every night plus estriol cream externally as I was getting the sensation of UTIs but no infection. I still use the ABs because ive had bad experiences and once hospitalised, but I'm not in a live in or conventional relationship so it's not that frequent.  I'm not sure the GP  would be happy for me to use them so regularly. I'm sure the vagifem will help given enough time but you may need some externally too.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 07:41:16 PM by Jules »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 07:57:36 PM »

Appropriate vaginal atrophy should ease symptoms with regular use, as necessary: every 1 of us probably requires a different regime once the Trial and Error period is sorted.  ABs should not then be required after being intimate.  ABs need to target a specific 'bug' .......... because GPs are prescribing Broad Spectrum ABs the World is in danger of within a few years that none will work effectively during the next pandemic.

Some do suffer with embedded urine infections which needs supervision from the appropriate Consultant.  Keeping the urethra moist is important.  I believe that some are advised to use a  :vibe: gently with lots of lubrication to keep the area open and flexible.

It's a mine field ain't it  :-\

Let us know how you get on! 

Jules

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2024, 08:08:58 PM »

Appropriate vaginal atrophy should ease symptoms with regular use, as necessary: every 1 of us probably requires a different regime once the Trial and Error period is sorted.  ABs should not then be required after being intimate.  ABs need to target a specific 'bug' .......... because GPs are prescribing Broad Spectrum ABs the World is in danger of within a few years that none will work effectively during the next pandemic.

Some do suffer with embedded urine infections which needs supervision from the appropriate Consultant.  Keeping the urethra moist is important.  I believe that some are advised to use a  :vibe: gently with lots of lubrication to keep the area open and flexible.

It's a mine field ain't it  :-\

Let us know how you get on!
My uro-gyny consultant was ok with my use of the odd  prophylactic AB.  So I would rather take his advice on that matter.  If you'd had the experience I have had, believe me you'd do what works to prevent those infections.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 11:11:52 PM »

You may do already, but if not, wee and wash after sex.

If the d-mannose has stopped working, maybe try another purer brand.

My sister was always getting utis after sex, she now takes an antibiotic after sex to prevent one.

If you put uti in the search box , other threads will come up, where other suggestions were given - I would have listed the other suggestions here but I can't remember them.

Jules

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2024, 08:11:17 AM »

Yes that's also important advice i was given. Bit inconvenient and a passion killer but you need to use the loo afterwards. And before,  my GP told me.

julsieblue

• First Flush
Advice on vaginal HRT
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2024, 04:39:24 PM »

Hello all - I posted the other day about huge struggle I’m having with bladder issues and back to back UTIs following sex. Endless round of antibiotics etc.
your advice was great - but unfortunately I now can’t find the thread 🤦🏼‍♀️
I have a new question - my doctor has put me on Vagirux pills for VA - apparently there’s an issue with supply of creams/pessaries.
Does anyone know if this is the same/as good as the Vagifem etc I hear everyone mentioning? So far they seem to have achieved nothing but I’m only just over 2 weeks in.
Advice appreciated!
JB x

CLKD

Re: Advice on vaginal HRT
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2024, 07:20:43 PM »

Hi - I've bumped your original thread. Topics merged - Emma

It may take a few weeks/months B4 the vagina benefits from treatment.  As with many medications some find each OK, others not.

How often are U inserting the 'vagirux'? 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 10:10:53 AM by Emma »

Ayesha

Re: Advice on vaginal HRT
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2024, 07:37:35 PM »

Hello all - I posted the other day about huge struggle I’m having with bladder issues and back to back UTIs following sex. Endless round of antibiotics etc.
your advice was great - but unfortunately I now can’t find the thread 🤦🏼‍♀️
I have a new question - my doctor has put me on Vagirux pills for VA - apparently there’s an issue with supply of creams/pessaries.
Does anyone know if this is the same/as good as the Vagifem etc I hear everyone mentioning? So far they seem to have achieved nothing but I’m only just over 2 weeks in.
Advice appreciated!
JB x

Vagifem & Vagirux are the same. It can take weeks for the treatment to work and patience is needed and you might need to do a reload if treatment isn't working fast enough for you. I haven't heard of a shortage of pessaries or the cream, annoying if that's the case.
You might find the following thread helpful!

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64837.msg895647.html#msg895647

« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 07:43:16 PM by Ayesha »

julsieblue

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2024, 10:43:18 AM »

I am using Vagirux daily, but now after 14 days prescription says to reduce to twice weekly - does that sound right or too soon?

Did someone say earlier about the importance of keeping the urethra moisturised? I would be worried about introducing more bugs - and also so tender, can’t bear to think of anything touching it 😩

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2024, 11:11:05 AM »

A little KY jelly or similar on the top of the cliteral hood and gently ease it downwards works for me. 

Ayesha

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2024, 01:38:11 PM »

I am using Vagirux daily, but now after 14 days prescription says to reduce to twice weekly - does that sound right or too soon?

Did someone say earlier about the importance of keeping the urethra moisturised? I would be worried about introducing more bugs - and also so tender, can’t bear to think of anything touching it 😩

The twice weekly doesn't work for a lot of women and some go on to needing five to seven pessaries a week for the rest of their lives.
Moisturisers are very important and help greatly with relieving symptoms and by their nature should keep bugs away by shielding the area but it is all trial and error here until you find a regime for you.

Research is everything, read as much as you can because its a condition that is so individualised that you need to be in control of it.
Another link I will urge you to read, knowledge is power when dealing with medics, you need to be in the know!

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69936.msg949995.html#msg949995
Pages: [1] 2