Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Thyroid and hrt..  (Read 451 times)

Mariab

Thyroid and hrt..
« on: June 21, 2024, 05:13:25 PM »

Hello all....
I was diagnosed with a declining thyroid function 10 years ago and have been on a slow dose of thyroxine since...I've always been abit doubtful I needed it as the thyroid was still working but working harder to keep up the pace, I have my levels checked every year and has always shown normal limits, however since being peri and hrt my anxiety has been so hard to deal with..I have seen some posts here that discuss a direct correlation between the thyroid and unbalanced hormones???
Can anybody shed some light?? :-\

Fizwhizz

Re: Thyroid and hrt..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 05:26:08 PM »

I’m seeking treatment for thyroid as I’d wrongly assumed all my symptoms were menopause as bloods checking thyroid hormones always came back as within normal range. Menopause or any major hormonal event can disrupt thyroid function, I think oestrogen helps thyroid function so as it declines your thyroid’s affected. However, if replacing oestrogen you need more thyroid hormones to clear up the excess oestrogen otherwise you end up with oestrogen dominance. This is what I discovered so am now getting thyroid treatment but not on the NHS as unfortunately they insist on waiting until your thyroid levels are really out not just low but within range as mine were.

Mariab

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 05:46:33 PM »

This is really interesting, I must look at my last results from bloods...
My thyroid does play on my mind..I also always feel I have a lump in my throat especially when I lay down
Not sure if that's a thing or not..
Let me know how you get on won't you as its definitely an avenue to explore  :)
Thanks for the input
What symptoms do you have ?.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 05:58:39 PM »

The lump in your throat feeling could be a symptom ie your thyroid’s swollen. I have a feeling under my chin which is hard to explain, like a buzzy feeling and as if it’s swollen. GP said this is a common problem as I have Hashimotos which is my thyroid being attacked by my immune system. Other symptoms of mine are low mood, poor appetite, apathy, tiredness, foggy brain, cold sensitivity, dry skin, nails. It’s so easy to assume it’s ageing or menopause but for me I think thyroid is a major factor. HRT didn’t really help and eventually my thyroid couldn’t cope.

Mariab

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 10:08:44 PM »

Symptoms are so similar arnt they, it definitely makes it all very confusing 😕

Fizwhizz

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2024, 10:33:20 AM »

It’s very difficult to unpick it all but for me HRT didn’t work well because other parts of my endocrine system weren’t working properly. In addition to this thyroid function can affect absorption of key vitamins too which has a knock on effect on everything else as well.

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2024, 11:42:09 AM »

Apparently in the US, anyone with a TSH level over 3.00 is offered Levothyroxine but the maximum in Europe is 4.80 and that could be the problem. 

I read somewhere (sorry, I can't remember where) that the thyroid becomes sluggish post menopause and many women would benefit from thyroid medication.  Also, you don't have to be positive for the antibodies to have mild thyroid deficiency.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2024, 12:32:36 PM »

Yes this is correct lower threshold for considered hypothyroid is USA and elsewhere. My GP told me it’s because blood tests have different thresholds elsewhere. I think that’s cobblers. In the UK the NHS is primarily concerned with diabetes so thyroid gets little attention. Thyroid problems also far more prevalent in women too.

SundayGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2024, 01:48:15 PM »

The NHS is woefully inadequate when it comes to thyroid issues. You need to have 2 consecutive blood tests with the TSH over range or one blood test result with TSH over 10. Only then will they consider thryroxine replacement.
Don't get me started on the argument that GP's come up with - well your TSH is within range so you must be ok. Load of drivel. They don't even consider T4 or more importantly T3 levels.
You're right Fizwhizz - the majority is so called endocrinology experts know very little about thyroid as their main concern is diabetes.

Sunday Girl --- longstanding Ord's Thyroiditis sufferer.

Mariab

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2024, 02:38:03 PM »

My last bloods for thyroid shows a tsh of 2.1mlU/L
Free T4 of 14.0
Which both are in normal range
No result for T3?

SundayGirl

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2024, 03:01:58 PM »

NHS doesn't test T3 as a rule. Most people have to have it done privately.

If you're already taking Levo, and the ranges are the usual ones the NHS tend to use, then in my opinion you need an increase in Levo. Your TSH is on the high side for someone taking thyroid replacement and if the T4 range is 12-22 then a T4 of 12 is far too low.

Are you being told that because your TSH is within range then you're OK? How do you feel is the more important thing.

Mariab

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2024, 04:25:42 PM »

I'm not really told anything, they do blood test and then nothing..I have no feed back and when I do bring it up gp says oh good it's all normal..
I think because the range for tsh is 0.5 to 5.0 according to gp then for them everything is nicely in the middle

AKatieD

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2024, 06:09:27 PM »

Recommend joining Thyroid Uk group on Healthunlocked.

You will find many people there who thought they were on the right treatment because their g.p. said their results were " normal". This often meant not optimal or even not good for thyroid sufferers and so they still are unwell. That group will help you optimise your thyroid treatment and can explain why just because your thyroid is staggering on it does not mean it does not need support.

There is a link between thyroid treatment and sex hormones. For example,  I have had to increase my medecine each time my HRT was increased. But to find that out you need testing and to know the detailed results (which might need you to pay for it if you cant get it from your gp).

SundayGirl

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2024, 08:54:10 PM »

Recommend joining Thyroid Uk group on Healthunlocked.

You will find many people there who thought they were on the right treatment because their g.p. said their results were " normal". This often meant not optimal or even not good for thyroid sufferers and so they still are unwell. That group will help you optimise your thyroid treatment and can explain why just because your thyroid is staggering on it does not mean it does not need support.

Excellent and very helpful site with some very knowledgeable members. Well worth joining and asking for support.