Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Very positive GPs appointment  (Read 603 times)

Hannah2041

• First Flush
Very positive GPs appointment
« on: June 17, 2024, 05:07:37 PM »

Saw my GP today as since my partial hysterectomy, keeping my overies 3 months ago, the menopause symptoms I had been getting before my op had increased.
My GP didn't once try and tell me that the symptoms I'm getting are nothing but instead let me explain in detail how i was feeling and asked questions about other possible symptoms.
I have to have a blood test done to check everything including my hormone levels but my GP is pretty confident based on my symptoms that I am in menopause even if my hormone levels come back as normal.
She also said that once my blood test results are back and she can definitely say I'm in menopause, then she will be fine eith prescribing HRT which is a relief.

Until I can go onto HRT and to try and ease the discomfort from vaginal atrophy, I bought some Vagisil cream for external areas and vaginal pessaries to hopefully help internally

Asher

Re: Very positive GPs appointment
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 07:10:44 PM »

Hi Hannah2041,

It so nice to read a positive post about a helpful GP , i know so many struggle with doctors and menopause and hrt.
I too was extremely lucky that I had a great GP who took my symptoms seriously when I was only 35 and sent to me a gynaecologist who quickly diagnosed me with premature menopause and put me on hrt .
Hope you get on well once you get the hrt.
Regarding the vaginal atrophy, I found ovestin cream a god send for the outer area you could ask your GP to try it I use it internally and externally I also use yes vm as moisturiser which helps a lot to stop itching and dryness I also wash with hydramol ointment and apply to the outer area after a bath or shower .
You can buy both yes vm and hydramol ointment off Amazon or any chemist, just things you might like to try .
Good luck and hope everything works out well for you .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 08:04:25 AM »

Were you able to discuss Vaginal Atrophy in length with your GP who does not have 2 wait for blood results be4 prescribing.  I would ring the Surgery this morning and ask for treatment ........ there are several that are suitable : many use 'vagifem' internally; the same with a smear of 'ovestin' round the labia/vulva; I use 'ovestin' internally with a smear where necessary ...........

So glad that you feel supported! 

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2024, 10:55:36 AM »

She doesn't need to wait for blood tests, she can go on symptoms. And if you have va the blood test results are irrelevant anyway, you still have va which needs treating whatever comes back. Glad you feel supported but imo the wait for treatment is unnecessary.