Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cortisone injection  (Read 880 times)

suzysunday

Cortisone injection
« on: June 14, 2024, 10:18:12 AM »

Does anyone have experience of having cortisone injections please?   We're they successful,  painful?  I am considering having one in my big toe for arthritis but not feeling sure.. 

star35

Re: Cortisone injection
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2024, 11:41:05 AM »

I've had them in my thumb and finger and they did help.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2024, 11:41:50 AM »

Hi Suzysunday. I had a steroid injection in February to ease the pain from frozen shoulder. It didn't hurt and gave quite a bit of relief for six weeks or so. One uncommon side effect for me seems to be thinning of my hair. My hairdresser was the one to ask whether I had used any steroids as the hair seemed to be in the resting stage so I wasn't losing huge amounts but it wasn't being replaced as the hairs naturally fell out at the end of their phase. I have tried to research this but there is little information about it but one report I read suggested that in most cases the hair regrew within six months. I am supposed to have another injection on the 25th June but although I am still attending the appointment so that she can reassess the shoulder I don't feel confident at having another injection. Of course, it may not be anything to do with the steroid! It's worth asking about side effects that are less common. Strangely, these injections are also used privately to try to promote hair growth in balding males.

I would say that it depends on how much discomfort you are in from your toe and to realise that the relief doesn't last that long. I think you are allowed three in a year.

Taz x  :)

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 12:59:15 PM »

Aww Suzy are your feet still sore??  :(
I've had them in both my elbows & the relief was amazing,took a couple of days to kick in but yes,was worth it. I had several done over a couple of years but when I changed Drs the new Dr said I shouldn't have had so many 🙀 so maybe it's just short term relief you'll get 🤷‍♀️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 02:59:36 PM »

I have never heard that Depomedrone [steroid] affects hair follicles.    I think that if there were any risk at all Taz., there would be Peer reviewed Research. 

jaypo: Why would a GP consider that 1 could have too many steroid injections, twice/3 times a year spread apart should be absolutely fine.  Every year if necessary, it's like WD40 for the joints. 

I will suggest that any suggestion into the hip region be done under a GA! ;-). 

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 04:23:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies, especially the alert about hair thinning.  Looking it up I see it is a potential side effect.  I don't want that to happen as mt confidence is already low   it's really hit me and this last month or so my feet have got worse and walking is uncomfortable.  I've bought loads of shoes, sent most back.  I can't believe what a state I'm in in such a short time. My quality of life has diminished significantly in a short time.  As you say Taz, relief is temporary from an injection.   I'm going to outpatient podiatry soon and muscoskelital at the hospital but there is a long wait. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 05:00:18 PM »

Also - do check your foot wear ;-)

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2024, 05:54:47 PM »

I've been looking for suitable footwear,  I said I've bought several pairs.