Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm so unhappy and afraid  (Read 1699 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I'm so unhappy and afraid
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2024, 10:36:24 AM »

Our GP has always been supportive ..........

SarahKins - how R U today?

jaypo

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2024, 10:36:55 AM »

Aww Penguin,what a shame,it must've been awful for you  :'(

Penguin

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2024, 12:35:42 PM »

Yeah it was, it really was. My mum had died too, and it got caught up in that, triggering my fear of hospitals. When he did get involved though, my GP was amazing, had fortnightly face to face (yeah I know!!) appointments to safety net me for a couple of months as he knew if I spiralled I couldn't even cope with the surgery's hold music so I'd just not call. I now have a good mental health plan in place with a private psychiatrist (through no fault of my GP, but just couldn't get the medication right within the NHS prescribing guidelines) but I 100% know I can go to my GP with anything and he'll not make me feel like I am wasting his time. That's what I wanted to reassure the poster here, really, that a good GP will be there for the mental and the physical, and know how to manage both x

Jules

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2024, 08:59:15 AM »

When things had got on top of me recently and one more health thing was the final straw, one unsympathetic GP curtly told me I had health anxiety. It wasn't until my next appointment was with a different one that she referred me to someone with more expertise in that area and she eventually told me I don't have health anxiety, that the health things I was anxious about were justified and that it was general anxiety as id had a lot to deal with and my cup and runneth over. She did help me approach my health things in a more measured way though. It's hard, takes practice but it really helped just to talk to someone.  For some of us, getting it off your chest is enough. I do think the awareness raising about health has caused some anxiety. It comes on TV, radio, social media, news items, we get invites for screening, vaccination.  Prompting us to check out symptoms. And also as you age you worry more that its something rather than nothing. The world feels scarey. And of course anxiety causes physical symptoms so its a vicious circle. I'm managing better, I realised how much of my precious time I was wasting being anxious about things that might never happen and was missing the present moment. I hope you have someone who is understanding and calm, my first GP wasn't, and that you are supported as itbis something that can be eased.

jaypo

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2024, 02:26:25 PM »

Yes penguin,it helps a lot knowing your Dr takes it seriously ❣️
Oh Jules, I just said to my OH about the adverts on TV, it's endless,one in two people will get cancer,then the prostate for the men,then heart attacks,all this on the telly whilst I'm eating my cornflakes in the morning 😩

Jules

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2024, 02:32:55 PM »

Yes penguin,it helps a lot knowing your Dr takes it seriously ❣️
Oh Jules, I just said to my OH about the adverts on TV, it's endless,one in two people will get cancer,then the prostate for the men,then heart attacks,all this on the telly whilst I'm eating my cornflakes in the morning 😩
One of my GPs agreed it was OTT. It's because people stopped going with symptoms during the pandemic.  I switch over or off now and have stopped googling any health symptoms. That has helped a lot

Silverberry

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2024, 01:53:47 PM »

I just did a forum search for dizziness/balance/vertigo because I've been struggling for a week and getting really fed up, as well as very worried! It brought me to your post and, like you've mentioned, it's made me feel better to see that it's not just me. I'm 43, been on HRT for a year and had symptoms for about 3 years prior to that. I had to be tested for everything under the sun before the GP suggested it could be perimenopause. It wasn't something I had considered given my 'young' age, but on further investigation my mum was a similar age and her mum! I've put my recent vertigo symptoms down to a flight a week ago. I sometimes feel wobbly and like I'm on a boat for a day or 2 after a flight, but it was only a very short flight and my symptoms are much worse AND have lasted a week now. I thought "I wonder if it's a peri menopause thing?" because, as I've come to learn, virtually everything that ever happens to me is a symptom when I check! There's more information readily available now about menopause and the more common symptoms, but you still have to go looking for the more obscure ones. This forum has saved me from a few sleepless nights already. I work in the death and bereavement side of healthcare so I'm up to my eyes in ways to die every day! Not good for someone who has anxiety and 37 different symptoms at any given time! I'm on here often doing a key word search to get reassurance and coping tips, it's a fabulous resource. I don't have a solution for myself yet, but I hope I can help reassure you that you're not alone. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2024, 01:56:07 PM »

We R a mine of information  ::).  We even talk about menopause.  Sometimes  ;D.

jaypo

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2024, 02:07:10 PM »

There's plenty help for dizziness Silverberry,so don't let it run on,as it's an awful thing to have,I suffer from it too but Stugeron always helps me within a day or two

Silverberry

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2024, 02:31:33 PM »

Jaypo - I will definitely get some, they sound great! Thank you x

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2024, 06:36:36 PM »

Make sure you can take them,just in case you are on any meds that could interact etc,the packet gives you the dosage for travel sickness but the leaflet inside will give you the dosage for meniers and labyrinthitis etc,think it's 2 x 3 daily but do check  :)
Pages: 1 [2]