Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Provera  (Read 845 times)

Caggy

Provera
« on: May 31, 2024, 08:02:16 AM »

I haven’t tolerated utrogestan well at all, despite persevering with it. My Dr has suggested trying Provera as  as an alternative. However, she did say it puts you at a higher risk of bloods clots and as someone who flies fairly regularly, alarm bells started ringing. She made a pretty big deal out of it. I said i’d have a think about it for a day or 2 but really need to make a decision over the weekend. Does/has anyone used provera and what has your experience been? I feel it could be a last chance saloon as nothing else seems to suit me.

CrispyChick

Re: Provera
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 08:05:15 AM »

No experience. But you can now use slynd prog only pill. It's on the BMS list - as a last resort.

Dazl20

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 01:07:03 PM »

I was prescribed Provera and after only being on it for a week, It seems it sent me crazy.  Not sure about the risk of clots but I certainly won’t be taking anymore risks with this one

Caggy

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2024, 07:25:20 PM »

Thanks both, will keep this in mind. Have heard other experiences of people feeling strange on it.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2024, 08:17:15 PM »

Have you tried utro vaginally? Sometimes it can improve things. I don't know about the relative risk, perhaps the PIL will tell you?

Hezzi

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 07:12:46 AM »

Hi. I took it when estrogen patch was increased. Had a lot of pms type symptoms- tender then sore breasts, bloating, spotting. Of course it could have been the increase of estrogen, but have increased this on different product and these symptoms didn't reappear. I also felt a bit euphoric whilst on provera (weird!) However, I would say that we are all different and we all have individual reactions to things, so what was my experience might not be yours! 🙂

Evie606

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2024, 09:02:04 PM »

I haven’t tolerated utrogestan well at all, despite persevering with it. My Dr has suggested trying Provera as  as an alternative. However, she did say it puts you at a higher risk of bloods clots and as someone who flies fairly regularly, alarm bells started ringing. She made a pretty big deal out of it. I said i’d have a think about it for a day or 2 but really need to make a decision over the weekend. Does/has anyone used provera and what has your experience been? I feel it could be a last chance saloon as nothing else seems to suit me.

Hi Caggy,

Provera gave me terrible migraines, I too couldn’t tolerate Utrogestan.  I have been doing well on Cyclogest for a while now.

Hope you find something to suit.

E x

bombsh3ll

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2024, 02:42:39 PM »

I'm progesterone intolerant too and have had to accept that when I move onto licenced MHT I may need a synthetic progestin which I generally tolerate well.

There has been so much in the press about how much "safer" micronised progesterone is that it can feel disheartening if you can't tolerate it but the minuscule difference in clot risk is unlikely to be clinically significant in healthy women. We are talking in the order of a few extra cases per 10,000!

With transdermal estradiol as well your risk is still likely to very low.

I'm on combined pill Zoely which I take every day which has a synthetic progestin and it's not something I lose any sleep over!

Caggy

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2024, 01:40:39 PM »

Thanks all and good to hear your experiences. I’ve bitten the bullet and am now on day 5 of Provera. No adverse reactions yet but still early days and the extreme fatigue does seem to be lifting, What has happened though which I am thrilled about is the bloating and water retention is so much better. I’ve been weeing for England and actually lost 4 pounds since the weekend. My fingers no longer look like pork sausages and my clothes are no longer cutting me in two, so the Utrogestan clearly didn’t agree with me!