Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Losing weight and sugar cravings  (Read 520 times)

Sher

• First Flush
Losing weight and sugar cravings
« on: May 27, 2024, 09:51:19 PM »

Hello,
I’m 49 and been in surgical menopause since 2022. It’s been the biggest rollercoaster and my HRT levels are okay. The biggest issue I have right now is weight loss….not because I’m can’t lose it, because I know I can when I’m strict with my diet. My issue is sugar and eating stuff that blights any chance of losing it. I need to lose about 3 and a half stone and I don’t want to be this miserable by the time I hit 50 at the end of the year 🥴
Can anyone relate and/or have advice please? Once the afternoons come, I buckle and gorge on the sweet stuff. I’m so worn out from ‘starting again’ next Monday.
I’m even open to supplements that can decrease cravings. Can anyone help please x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Losing weight and sugar cravings
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 07:37:25 AM »

Morning.  MayB write down everything you eat/drink for 3 days: meal times, snacks: and exercise - housework and gardening count.

Write down how much fresh food you eat, all the fruits for example.

Write down the processed foods - which are designed to encourage the body to crave sugars - long story short.  Chris Van Tullekans recent book explains a lot of how we are conned by the food companies!  Particularly chemically made fats and sugars which don't fulfil the digestive system.

It was too involved for me but DH, being a Research Chemist, read it - then told me the nub of each chapter.

Ready meals; many biscuits; cakes; pastries ...... all have added encouragement to binge! 

That dip in the afternoon!  I suffered a lot until I began eating a banana about 20 mins B4 the time I would become suddenly hungry. 

The National Association for Pre-Menstrual Syndrome [NAPS] advised me to eat every 3 hours, 24/7.  To spread my daily intake across ...... I didn't put weight on but it did help ease that awful energy dip = nausea.

In the last 12-18 months DH and I have cut out most processed cakes etc..  Slowly ..... he has always cooked our evening meals from scratch - more veg in our chicken mix as well as more fresh fruits which of course have sugars, but our bodies process these differently.  It needs natural sugars and fats for energy and repair.

Do U cook at all?  I don't but fortunately I have a DH who will. 

1.  make that list

2.  note the times when your body needs energy

3.  do it all slowly ;-)

4.  weigh once a week

DH has lost 2.5 stone since feb by cutting out dried fruits and alcohol.  He has a waist again :-)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Losing weight and sugar cravings
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 07:37:59 AM »

Also we may feel hungry but the body needs liquids.  Pee should remain straw coloured all day.