Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Well That Went Down Like A Lead Balloon  (Read 3850 times)

Ayesha

Re: Well That Went Down Like A Lead Balloon
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2024, 11:01:12 AM »

Last month it was a GP questioning whether I needed Estriol as it was rare to need both, got that all sorted but this month its 'as you requested in May a three months supply of Vagifem, your next prescription is not due until August'. Some lucky lady has gone on a long holiday I presume with three boxes of Vagifem and I am left in good old blighty fighting for my one box.

I popped into the surgery and tried to explain only to be told by the receptionist, oh its HRT you will need a review. I explained on deaf ears no, its not needed for topical oestrogen and that someone had got three boxes of Vagifem and its not me. No you need a review, no I don't I said again. Ok we both said in unison, put in another request and see what happens. 

I absolutely hate being in this exclusive club called Vaginal Atrophy (GSM) because its still the big mystery to medics and admin staff and to think I could have walked next door to the pharmacy and bought Gina but because I use the pessary every day, its extremely expensive but my goodness the freedom it would give from all the crap that goes trying to get a prescription.

Jules

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2024, 11:54:08 AM »

I've requested extra as I've been told to use extra. I dread being told I can't have it.  I'm still waiting for the reply. As if this isn't bad enough without having to beg for the treatment

Katejo

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2024, 12:52:31 PM »

Last month it was a GP questioning whether I needed Estriol as it was rare to need both, got that all sorted but this month its 'as you requested in May a three months supply of Vagifem, your next prescription is not due until August'. Some lucky lady has gone on a long holiday I presume with three boxes of Vagifem and I am left in good old blighty fighting for my one box.

I popped into the surgery and tried to explain only to be told by the receptionist, oh its HRT you will need a review. I explained on deaf ears no, its not needed for topical oestrogen and that someone had got three boxes of Vagifem and its not me. No you need a review, no I don't I said again. Ok we both said in unison, put in another request and see what happens. 

I absolutely hate being in this exclusive club called Vaginal Atrophy (GSM) because its still the big mystery to medics and admin staff and to think I could have walked next door to the pharmacy and bought Gina but because I use the pessary every day, its extremely expensive but my goodness the freedom it would give from all the crap that goes trying to get a prescription.
So frustrating! I have had to do 2 HRT reviews already this year despite asking for Vagifem. Then they supplied Evorel Conti instead of Vagifem. I tried to buy 1 box of GINA as back up but Boots blocks this if someone is on systemic!

Jules

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2024, 12:57:24 PM »

I can't afford to buy my own so not sure what I'd do. Is it a funding issue?

Ayesha

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2024, 03:37:57 PM »

Received another message from the surgery saying they have approved my Vagifem prescription but I need to make an appointment for a review of this medication.
What I can't get my head around is, if I can buy it over the counter and I have been on it for two and a half years and no matter what this review comes up with, I will still need to be on it for life. I am not on any other HRT just topical.

Am I being unreasonable here because I think this review is totally unnecessary and a  waste of all our time and I will be saying so when I go to the surgery tomorrow to make the appointment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2024, 05:41:02 PM »

I believe that GPs have to do a medication review, at our Surgery the Pharmacist rings me at an arranged time to see what is/not working.  Then he approves my repeat prescriptions. 

So any1 on a new product may B asked to attend a review, after which I can't see a problem with slapping all the reviews if necessary together once a year. 

Ayesha

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2024, 09:53:56 PM »

All I will say is this has taken me back to when you could only get Canesten on prescription after seeing a GP and I always said then, one day we will be able to buy it over the counter. We are half way there with Vagifem, you can buy it over the counter but you still have to have a review, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Jules

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2024, 10:34:28 PM »

I'm guessing it's partly to do with funding of prescription drugs, so that they aren't paying for drugs eternally without checking they're still appropriate however I think that depends on the gp surgery too as my son is on sertraline and hasn't had a review for years. I know someone who gets omeprazole on prescription and doles them out to anybody with indigestion. You're right though, there's such contradiction.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2024, 07:09:23 AM »

It's to make sure that the product is still suiting the user.  As well as being a control of how much medication is being prescribed annually. 

Ayesha

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2024, 08:04:33 AM »

I'm an adult, if it doesn't suit that's up to me to say so. Its to justify the cost, the slippery slope to buying it yourself as its available over the counter.
This is living in the real world not what any latest report or new findings on the condition states.

Jules

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2024, 09:12:38 AM »

I think the treatment we have for VA is slightly different as we will always need it, though there may be new and better products that are developed down the line that may be offered at a review. There are adults though who are taking medication long term when it's either no l9nger the mist appropriate or they don't need it at all or its harmful long term so that's partly why reviews are put in place. Ours are on our prescription print off from the pharmacy I think, a reminder. However for treatment like ours, I don't see any justification for not prescribing whilst a review is taking place. I'm sure my current problems have stemmed from being told to stop until I'd had my gyny appointment

Ayesha

« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2024, 09:19:07 AM »

I am on other medication that's due for review in October, its the Vagifem that has been singled out for a review now, that's why I am questioning what's really going on!

Jules

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2024, 09:32:08 AM »

Did you change your gp? I suspect I'd have the same problem if I changed. At present they give me what I ask for though they stipulated twice a week and I'm using more so how long that will go on for I'm not sure. Thos condition is bad enough without the treatment being withheld

Ayesha

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2024, 03:38:17 PM »

Yes, moved to a different county.
Its interesting there are two of us in the household with repeat prescriptions and only my Vagifem is coming up for review, pardon me for being ever so cynical!

Jules

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2024, 03:43:24 PM »

Yeh that sounds like a lack of upto date knowledge about topical estrogen
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]