Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Provera prescribed on top of conti hrt for breakthrough bleeding  (Read 2115 times)

Jan1234

Hi ladies me me again I'm looking for any advise I can get as I don't know what to do next I'm nearly 60 been on hrt for years had problems in past with bleeding and polyps but the last 8 months been great on kliofem, then 2nd week in January I had very slight bleeding which swab test showed infection (strep) took antibiotics for a week and seen gynecology 17th Feb spotting had just about stopped and she said all was OK biopsy was taken and thats ok so she said it looks like the infection caused the bleed my lining was slightly thick 6.8, any how I have bled everyday since biopsy which was 3 weeks ago, seen gp biopsy results back all ok she gave me provera to take 3 times a day till bleeding stops then 2 times a day for a week the down to 1 a day for a week to see if this settles, I been a bit worried about taking these on top so I left it a few days to see if my bleeding would stop itself it's only light bleeding, I then started having bad headaches when I wake up in morning but they ease off spoke to another GP and she said try tranexamic acid to see if it settles I took them for the first day and god I still feel awful stomache ache dizzy and feeling sick I literally can't tolarate them so didn't take any on day 2, I decided I will try a mirena coil don't want one but this is going on to long now but can't get gp to do it till end of April, looks like I will have to try the extra provera but worried anyone's thoughts on this please as I'm getting desperate now I had enough I feel bloody awful
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 10:58:40 AM by Jan1234 »

Jan1234

Re: Provera prescribed on top of conti hrt for breakthrough bleeding
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 10:59:24 AM »

Bump

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 11:50:34 AM »

Hi have you tried Utrogestan with an oestrogen tablet ?

Jan1234

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 12:51:00 PM »

I was on ultrigeston and the gel just over a year ago and bled for months on it, havnt tried it with the problem I got now though

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 03:09:29 PM »

I think a mirena is worth trying, it's usually better than anything else for sorting out problem bleeding. Assuming your scan didn't show a reason for it such as fibroid I think you're left with reducing oestrogen and/or increasing progesterone. I don't know if there's anything apart from tranexamic acid that does the same job but you might tolerate better? And obviously make sure you have enough iron while you're bleeding.

Jan1234

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 04:08:44 PM »

Do you think it's worth trying the extra provera I've only been light but I've just had a heavy bleed and feel dreadful it just started pouring from me and stopped

Nas

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 04:19:01 PM »

I think a mirena coil would definitely be worth a try. It does have an excellent reputation for controlling bleeding. Unless the GP can offer you norethistone/ provera long term?

For now, you need to stop this current bleed.

Maybe as Sheila suggested, lower the oestrogen? But then it’s got to be enough to tackle your symptoms effectively.

Jan1234

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 04:33:03 PM »

Nas I'm on a conti hrt tablet form gp as given me provera I've literally just started them as I feel dreadful where I have been light for weeks it's just poured from me I been feeling off all day do you think the extra provera will help

Jan1234

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 04:42:58 PM »

I have decided to get a coil scared though my gp can't do it till end of April I'm going on holiday a moth later and scared that il end up bleeding very heavy while I'm away, once before when I was on gel and ultrogeston I was abroad and was bleeding so bad it scared me, I'm also going to ring the clinic where I had my biopsy to see if they can get me in earlier, she's given me 3 provera 10mg a day till bleeding stops then 2 a day for a week then 1 a day for a week she said hoping it will settle down then with my hrt