Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Pre general anaesthetic prep  (Read 514 times)

shrosphirelass

Pre general anaesthetic prep
« on: March 02, 2024, 11:32:53 AM »

I have just had my hysteroscopy and biopsy appointment confirmed. It gives details of what to take and what to do etc. It says no food after 7.30. I guess that means I can have breakfast and a cup of tea at 7.00am?

Also at my pre op I was told not to drink alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure unsurprisingly. Does anyone know if I can have a wine night cap the night before? This wasn't mentioned It would really help to relax me and hopefully aid with some sleep. Obviously don't want to take any risks, I'm panicking enough as it is!

If any one has any advice about how to make things go smoothly please let me know.

KaraShannon

Re: Pre general anaesthetic prep
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 12:31:03 PM »

They don't make it easy do they! 

I imagine you're correct on those things Shropshirelass, but hope maybe you can get through to someone who can confirm.  Hope you have a good weekend  :)

Violetta808

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 12:32:01 PM »

I’ve had two of these procedures (10 years ago and last week) and the experience was exactly the same both times. But I was still a bit anxious last week, despite knowing what to expect, and that is completely normal.

I had a morning procedure so no food or drink after midnight. I had a small glass of wine with dinner the night before though I wasn’t really in the mood for it to be honest! So I think a nightcap - in moderation - would be fine.

Definitely have something to eat and drink at 7am  - slow release carbs or whatever works best for you that’s easy to digest and will see you through the morning.

But you don’t need to do anything different in the meantime. The anaesthetic is a short and light one and one moment you are talking to the anaesthetist, the next you’re waking up from what feels like a very deep sleep and it’s all done.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 08:54:50 PM »

Thanks, that's reassuring Violetta808

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 08:59:07 PM »

What time is your procedure.  Usually with a full anaesthetic it's 'nil by mouth from midnight' with a drink of water if 1 has tablets to take.

Charleyfarley

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 09:20:31 PM »

I’m sorry I don’t have any advice on this but I just wanted to say I was thinking of you and I hope all goes well ♥️♥️♥️

Northerngirl

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 08:37:33 AM »

I had to be at the hospital for 11.30 and was told not to eat or drink anything after 7am. I could only have light breakfast and was told to avoid milky things....random I know I was so anxious I only managed one small slice of toast. Sorry don't know about the alcohol before procedure.
Hope all goes well for you Shrosphirelass