Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Nasal issues  (Read 737 times)

Moofish

• First Flush
Nasal issues
« on: February 29, 2024, 10:55:18 PM »

Hello
Be gentle with me please - I’m a newbie!
Age 49 and had Mirena coil for 15 years and not had a period in that time.
I seem to have various symptoms; hot flushes, urinary frequency (scan has shown I retain urine but no obvious cause) and a weird one……I’ve started seeing some blood in my nasal mucus and feeling a very odd sensation in my nose (almost like a very feint burning feeling). I don’t feel congested but I occasionally use a saline nasal spray and when I do this I can hear I’m congested.
It’s the blood that’s concerning me. I’m due to see my Dr on 12/3 but wanted to know if the blood/nose issue was a peri thing. They’re certainly not loads but it’s re-current.
Also, although having not had a period in 15 years, yesterday I had what I can only describe as period pain. It came on very suddenly, lasted all day and I was absolutely sure I was going to have a period. I was absolutely exhausted too - I felt just like I used to when I was due on, pre Mirena. Today the pain had completely gone but I’ve had no blood or spotting at all.
Thanks for reading. Any reassurance gratefully received.

sjpercy3

Re: Nasal issues
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 11:38:09 PM »

Hello and welcome! Are you taking oestrogen? I think I know the feeling you're describing. Nasal issues were one of my 1st peri symptoms. I wonder if it's dryness in your nose caused by low estrogen.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 11:48:00 PM »

Hi Moofish  :welcomemm:

I agree that it could be the declining oestrogen which is affecting your nasal passages. I suffer from nosebleeds and these are usually due to the septum drying out.  I also often get a burning/****ling feeling which I put down to the delicate skin pulling a bit tight. The advice is not to blow your nose - difficult I know - but this stops the damage to the skin. If you are really worried though I am sure your GP will have a look for you.

As for the period type pains have you still got a Mirena in? It may be that your own hormones are having a bit of an upheaval which is normal for peri and you may have a period even after all this time without. Did you have any other period signs such as pmt or sore breasts?

You will find lots of help and advice/support on here so any other questions just ask away and we will try to help.

Taz x  :)

Moofish

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 08:11:16 AM »

Hello and welcome! Are you taking oestrogen? I think I know the feeling you're describing. Nasal issues were one of my 1st peri symptoms. I wonder if it's dryness in your nose caused by low estrogen.
Thank you. No I’m not taking anything at the moment. I was wondering if I need to.

Moofish

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 08:14:54 AM »

Hi Moofish  :welcomemm:

I agree that it could be the declining oestrogen which is affecting your nasal passages. I suffer from nosebleeds and these are usually due to the septum drying out.  I also often get a burning/****ling feeling which I put down to the delicate skin pulling a bit tight. The advice is not to blow your nose - difficult I know - but this stops the damage to the skin. If you are really worried though I am sure your GP will have a look for you.

As for the period type pains have you still got a Mirena in? It may be that your own hormones are having a bit of an upheaval which is normal for peri and you may have a period even after all this time without. Did you have any other period signs such as pmt or sore breasts?

You will find lots of help and advice/support on here so any other questions just ask away and we will try to help.

Taz x  :)
Thank you so much.

I don’t really blow my nose, the congestion feels like it’s further up and I only get dried (bloody) mucus in my nostril not runny.

Yes my Mirena is still in. No sore breasts recently but I do get this every few months. I was extremely grumpy and exhausted (felt just like I was going to have a period)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 12:09:25 PM »

I've just remembered that years ago my dad drove my mum mad grumbling about his nose always feeling blocked and eventually he went to the GP and was diagnosed with a polyp. It would be worth getting it checked out.

Taz x

Moofish

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 01:53:48 PM »

I've just remembered that years ago my dad drove my mum mad grumbling about his nose always feeling blocked and eventually he went to the GP and was diagnosed with a polyp. It would be worth getting it checked out.

Taz x
Thanks Taz, it’s on my (long) list for the Dr!

Jules

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 12:49:04 AM »

Taz x

I was going to say the same or at least it can just be sinusitis. I get blood in mucous but I always have congestion. It's easy to put symptoms down to menopause. Menopausal women can still get symptoms caused by other things