Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Permanent stress feeling  (Read 950 times)

2cats

Permanent stress feeling
« on: February 28, 2024, 09:14:22 AM »

Hi,

I’ve developed awful physical stress symptoms which I can’t seem to alleviate. I’ve had pretty much permanent morning anxiety for the last three years but this feels similar but different as my chest is tight all day with no let up.
I was feeling pretty confident a couple of weeks ago, so viewed houses on a new estate I really want to move to, got my house valued a week ago and made a date for last Monday to have all the photos taken ready to put on the market.
Spent the whole weekend fretting that I couldn’t cope with moving and all it entails so cancelled the photo session. Since then I’ve been consumed with stress and now I’m fearing every event I’ve got coming up, which is a real backward step for me.
I guess I’m just looking for support or advice. I’ve no idea whether my hrt is effective anymore or where I am in this journey. It started at 37 with sweats and now I’m 55!
Thanks in advance

Ayesha

Re: Permanent stress feeling
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 10:50:04 AM »

This is like a phase in your life that you have to go through. I was exactly the same and it started when my husband woke me in the night saying he was having a heart attack, long story short, he was fine. But after that shock I woke with the same symptoms you describe every morning for a long time, its pure anxiety at its worst.
I was also due to move and had to cancel but with time the early morning shaking and stress feelings subsided and we are now in our new home three years on from when it all started.

Give yourself time, seek out help for your symptoms but I am sure they will go with time and you will end up in your new build one day!

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 12:45:34 PM »

Hi 2cats,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with anxiety. Seems to be a very common menopause symptom that comes out of nowhere for many of us.

My only suggestions are:-
1. Try not to think TOO far ahead. I know that is difficult with a big tasks like a house move but I find breaking it all down into much smaller tasks (like a project plan) really helps  with not getting too overwhelmed. Write all the tasks and events down. Also it gives a sense of achievement ticking off individual tasks completed each day.
2. Plan. Give yourself time and space - don't take on too much if you are able to.
3. Take one day at a time. Literally. Again we have to plan ahead but park any worrying for futute tasks for a later date. Focus on the next task only and almost plan your worrying for future events for a later date. Sounds mad but does help.
4. Try mindfulness. I use an app called Headspace (there are others) and it has really helped me manage my racing mind.
5. Maybe worth tweaking your HRT to see if things improve.

Hope this helps x

joziel

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 10:58:10 PM »

Try increasing your estrogen, if you're not at the max licensed dose yet. If you are at the max dose, ask for bloods to check you're absorbing okay - and get them run when you think your own estrogen is lowest (if you still cycle), which would be during your period.

Even if they say you are absorbing ok, you might need a higher dose. My bloods on 4 pumps of gel were 284pmol, which my GP told me was "high enough to protect you and is fine". Luckily I'm with Newson who said "if you're still symptomatic, go higher". I'm now on 8 pumps and since getting to 8 pumps, I feel like I am finally getting better sleep. Not perfect or great yet, but a manageable amount of sleep. I was at 334pmol on 6 pumps, so reckon I'm probably around 400pmol on 8 pumps. Newson said many women need to be around 400-600pmol for best symptom control. I didn't know if going higher was going to help, but figured I'd give it a go and could always come down again if it didn't make things any better...

I don't get morning anxiety, but I do get evening/going to bed anxiety, which can make it incredibly hard to sleep. I found that I have high cortisol at night on a 4-point saliva test and I'm now taking lots of cortisol lowering supplements too - holy basil, ashwaganda, phosphatydeserine and Relora and zinc... along with magnesium. I think that is really helping, since high cortisol at night causes insomnia. But - some people have high cortisol in the AM or all the time, so you might want to get a 4 point saliva test done too. Your GP won't understand that (although they can do a fasted 8am blood cortisol for you), the 4 point saliva you'd need to get privately.

Hope that helps x

2cats

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2024, 10:06:36 AM »

Thank you for your helpful replies. My ashwagandha and magnesium arrived in the post yesterday so I’m hoping they help!

Nik2502

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 04:29:41 PM »

Hi 2cats

I find I’m like this with too much oestrogen. I feel permanently ‘wired’, a weird physical shaking inside feeling.
Ive just started a new bottle of oestrogel and I think it might be stronger?
It’s awful but it does pass.

Nik x