Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Change of regime  (Read 3207 times)

Suzziep

• First Flush
Change of regime
« on: February 10, 2024, 03:29:28 PM »

Hi everyone,posted on the forum some time ago so not really new,brief background 59yrs ,postmenopausal approx 11years,started on hrt about 6 years ago continuous regime and eventually settled with 2 pumps of Oestrogel and utrogestan 100mg on days 1-25 of cycle have been on this about 3 years.Have had quite a lot of spotting throughout and Random very painful bleeds although not heavy lasting about 10 days.Was becoming increasingly concerned as I had never been checked out GP could not red flag me as I was not fulfilling criteria Gynae waiting list 4 years.so have went private checks all done and everything seems o.k The advice I have been given is take 6 weeks off which I had heard of before and then return to the regime I was on before but don't take the 3 day break of Utrogestan as in just continue with both throughout,I don't think I have heard of this before.Has anyone else ???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Change of regime
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 04:27:06 PM »

Hi!  why mend if it ain't broken  :-\

Was a letter sent to your GP from the private clinic or did U get a copy yourself?  MayB ask for a copy so that you can read exactly what was suggested.  Which tests/examinations took place privately, was it a gynaecologist or dedicated menopause consultant?

Ana21

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 06:50:44 PM »

Hi Suzziep

Postmeno women with a uterus are usually started on continuous combined hormone therapy, which means both the estrogen and progestogen (Utro in your case) are taken on a daily basis.  No break.  For many women, this approach leads to no bleeding.

Edited my post to add that breakthrough bleeding may occur in the first 6 months of a combined MHT regimen.  Any unscheduled bleeding after that should be investigated. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 06:58:04 PM by Ana21 »

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 07:27:23 PM »

The 25/28 regime can be useful in late peri as it allows a bleed if there's been a build up. Once definitely meno most people just take it every day. On the regime you've been on you shouldn't be spotting though so I disagree with your gp, I think it should have been investigated. Did it show up any reason for it? Fibroid, polyps or thickened lining? I'm not convinced taking it every day is going to stop it. If there's no other cause it might be that you have to increase progesterone or perhaps consider a mirena.