Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Update: HRT for two days and still having horrible symptoms a week later  (Read 1365 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT for two days and still having horrible symptoms a week later
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2024, 06:31:43 PM »

Neither am I and when can a Nurse over-rule a GP?  I would ask a GP to refer me to a dedicated menopause clinic as well as asking the Practice Manager which Courses this nurse has attended. i.e. has she been to work with Dr Louise Newson for example.

In the meantime, ring a clinic to see whether you can self refer. 

Who over sees your mental health and other medical issues?  A GP? 

We shouldn't have to fight for treatment but there is no longer a holistic approach  :-\

[what's ANP ? ]. Let u s know how you get on

Talli

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2024, 06:56:15 PM »

I wrote a big reply and it it was deleted :/
Poop haha!!
Anyway a ANP is just a Advanced Nurse Practitioner :)

My mental health issues have only been addressed as a side issue at other apps.
I was prescribed fluoxetine but that made me extremely anxious too and my heart felt like it was going to burst. I phoned them and told them and they said I was having a reaction to them and I was to stop them immediately. They gave me propranolol for my heart which has helped. She was really nice actually but for meno stuff they always refer you to this particular ANP.

It’s just super annoying that it’s this hard to get people to just help you.
I reckon this meno nurse will pooh pooh my symptoms because they came on so fast and have lasted so long after just taking them for such a short time.
I start to doubt myself in the end and can’t face any of them.

Anyway, sorry to whinge and thank you for listening. I really appreciate it X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2024, 07:37:29 PM »

U whinge away.  An Advanced Nurse Practitioner does not make her knowledgeable about menopause unless she's been on a course/s.   ::)

Propranolol taken at night to ease early morning anxiety surges helped a lot otherwise I would wake terrified. 

Mary G

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2024, 08:07:01 PM »

I think your problem is too little oestrogen and too much progesterone.

I used Lenzetto several years ago and although I liked the user friendly application, I found it very weak and my symptoms returned.  Even when I worked up to three sprays every day, it was only giving me the same oestrogen blood level as one pump of Oestrogel.

200mg Utrogestan is far too high a dose for that level of oestrogen so I'm not surprised it isn't working.  I would increase the Lenzetto and reduce the Utrogestan to 100mg and use it vaginally because it has fewer side effects.

It sounds like you need some topical oestrogen cream if you have atrophy and bladder problems.  Something like Ovestin which I think you can buy over the counter and without a prescription in the UK now.
Thank you that’s really interesting to know!
At the moment I’m too scared to try it again as it made me feel close to my old, very unwell mentally, self.
I already have Vagifem prescribed and Ovestin which I use nightly.
I think maybe I just do t need it yet or it’s the wrong dose as you say. I’m just too scared to try it again now.
I can’t believe just a few days of it could make me feel so bad  :o

Talli, sorry, I can now see you mentioned you are already using a topical oestrogen for the VA and bladder issues.

I can understand your reluctance to continue with HRT after such a bad experience.  It might be worth having some blood tests to get an idea of your hormone levels.  My hormones started dropping off when I was in my mid 30s and you could be similar.  I started to experience anxiety and panic attacks when my progesterone levels fell away in my 30s and then later aged 43, I started having silent migraines.  I was post menopause by the age of 44.  You could be same in which case you are a fair way through the menopause by now. 

My experience with Utrogestan was so bad I thought I had suddenly developed progesterone intolerance but it was just a bad reaction to it.  I found the ill effects of it hung around for a long time after the final capsule.  Now I find progesterone to be beneficial as long as I don't go above the magical 50mg.  Do you have any history of PMS or progesterone intolerance?

You could continue with the Lenzetto only for a few weeks just to see if you can tolerate it.  That would also eliminate the Utrogestan.

Anonymous1

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2024, 08:11:35 PM »

Hi Talli,
I have chronic multifactorial fatigue (Adrenal fatigue) due to chronic stress, long standing complex mental health issues; including anxiety, extra demands of peri-menopause/menopause and over exercising when symptoms had started.

I think the hormonal changes around the peri-menopause/menopause can exacerbate existing health conditions.

I am 51 and recently started cyclical HRT.  I noticed a signficant improvement in my mood on Everel 50 (Oestrogen) within 2 days.  However, I experienced some unpleasant side effects on the Utrogestan; including feeling very depressed and stopped the HRT after the first month.  I wasn't able to tolerate a further reduction in my mood due to my current circumstances.

I saw a nurse at private menopause clinic.  She suggested taking the Everel 50 on it's own for a month before introducing the Utrogestan or another form of progesterone.   

I have heard that HRT can help women whom have fatigue related conditons.

I would see if you can get a referral to a NHS Menopause clinic.  It may be that you need to get your levels of oestrogen up before introducing the progesterone part.

I am working with a Naturopath Re:  Fatigue related condition.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 08:20:20 PM by Anonymous1 »

Talli

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 11:28:58 AM »

U whinge away.  An Advanced Nurse Practitioner does not make her knowledgeable about menopause unless she's been on a course/s.   ::)

Propranolol taken at night to ease early morning anxiety surges helped a lot otherwise I would wake terrified.

Thanks CLKD :) I’ll try the propranolol at night. I’ve been taking it in the day as my heart rate has been 110 bpm.
I know that’s not exceptionally high but it’s high for me, I’m normally around 65-80.

Talli

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2024, 11:33:16 AM »

I think your problem is too little oestrogen and too much progesterone.

I used Lenzetto several years ago and although I liked the user friendly application, I found it very weak and my symptoms returned.  Even when I worked up to three sprays every day, it was only giving me the same oestrogen blood level as one pump of Oestrogel.

200mg Utrogestan is far too high a dose for that level of oestrogen so I'm not surprised it isn't working.  I would increase the Lenzetto and reduce the Utrogestan to 100mg and use it vaginally because it has fewer side effects.

It sounds like you need some topical oestrogen cream if you have atrophy and bladder problems.  Something like Ovestin which I think you can buy over the counter and without a prescription in the UK now.
Thank you that’s really interesting to know!
At the moment I’m too scared to try it again as it made me feel close to my old, very unwell mentally, self.
I already have Vagifem prescribed and Ovestin which I use nightly.
I think maybe I just do t need it yet or it’s the wrong dose as you say. I’m just too scared to try it again now.
I can’t believe just a few days of it could make me feel so bad  :o

Talli, sorry, I can now see you mentioned you are already using a topical oestrogen for the VA and bladder issues.

I can understand your reluctance to continue with HRT after such a bad experience.  It might be worth having some blood tests to get an idea of your hormone levels.  My hormones started dropping off when I was in my mid 30s and you could be similar.  I started to experience anxiety and panic attacks when my progesterone levels fell away in my 30s and then later aged 43, I started having silent migraines.  I was post menopause by the age of 44.  You could be same in which case you are a fair way through the menopause by now. 

My experience with Utrogestan was so bad I thought I had suddenly developed progesterone intolerance but it was just a bad reaction to it.  I found the ill effects of it hung around for a long time after the final capsule.  Now I find progesterone to be beneficial as long as I don't go above the magical 50mg.  Do you have any history of PMS or progesterone intolerance?

You could continue with the Lenzetto only for a few weeks just to see if you can tolerate it.  That would also eliminate the Utrogestan.

Thank you for your reply!
Yes maybe I’ll try the Lenzetto on its own for a bit although the anxiety and feeling of being wired started a few hours after my first spray. 
I’m struggling to understand how it could have affected me so badly so fast when I was excited and happy about trying it!
If I’d been worried I’d have thought it was just me being nervous but I wasn’t!

Yes also I might ask for a hormone panel if they’ll do it to see what’s going on.
Maybe I don’t need HRT yet? But the Drs feel I do because of having such bad atrophy that my labia have been reabsorbed.
I’m just so confused about it all  :-\

Talli

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2024, 11:38:50 AM »

Hi Talli,
I have chronic multifactorial fatigue (Adrenal fatigue) due to chronic stress, long standing complex mental health issues; including anxiety, extra demands of peri-menopause/menopause and over exercising when symptoms had started.

I think the hormonal changes around the peri-menopause/menopause can exacerbate existing health conditions.

I am 51 and recently started cyclical HRT.  I noticed a signficant improvement in my mood on Everel 50 (Oestrogen) within 2 days.  However, I experienced some unpleasant side effects on the Utrogestan; including feeling very depressed and stopped the HRT after the first month.  I wasn't able to tolerate a further reduction in my mood due to my current circumstances.

I saw a nurse at private menopause clinic.  She suggested taking the Everel 50 on it's own for a month before introducing the Utrogestan or another form of progesterone.   

I have heard that HRT can help women whom have fatigue related conditons.

I would see if you can get a referral to a NHS Menopause clinic.  It may be that you need to get your levels of oestrogen up before introducing the progesterone part.

I am working with a Naturopath Re:  Fatigue related condition.

Thank you for replying. :)

Yes perhaps the hormone changes are making the CFS/IC/Fibro etc worse :/

I feel like you did when you said you tolerate a further reduction in your mood and it’s making just want to abandon the whole HRT thing.
I’m in the middle of getting my dose of Gabapentin right and possibly introducing Solfenacin at the end of the week for my bladder issues and I just do t feel like I can be bothered with the HRT now.
Although I need to make an app because I need a repeat for the Ovestin which is helping the outside.
I’m scared of phoning for an app about it though because I’m worried the nurse will be cross that I didn’t give the systemic a good enough go.
She said use it for 3 months and don’t let the side effects put me off but honestly I just couldn’t bear it. :(

Anonymous1

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2024, 09:16:53 PM »

Hi Talli,
Thanks for your reply.  I think a lot of women stop HRT quite abruptly if they don't tolerate it!  I've stopped the HRT for the time being.  I feel a lot better than when I was on the Utrogestan.  I will probably try it again at some point in the next month or so.

Talli

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2024, 08:12:53 AM »

That’s interesting Anonymous.
I’m feeling better now I’m not on the HRT.

But…ha ha bit of an update to the whole saga! (Prepare for TMI)
I got my period this morning, first one since stopping HRT and it’s awful!
The consistency was like water and instead of starting slowly bit by bit it just flooded!
Went everywhere. It was down my legs and on the floor and everything. Almost like I imagine it would be if my waters broke!  :o
So sorry for the graphic description but it’s never been like that before!
Is this normal peri or could the Utro still be in my system two weeks after stopping it and be affecting it?
I’m also on Gabapentin for bladder pain and have recently upped my dose on advice from GP but I don’t think that could affect period could it?

Boy am I fed up of all this stuff  :-\
Pages: 1 [2]