Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post menopause bleeding: had a scan today  (Read 1615 times)

Katymac

Post menopause bleeding: had a scan today
« on: January 15, 2024, 11:32:51 AM »

And if the results aren't back at the gp in a week I have to chase it up

So most likely are fibroid, polyps or an increased thickness of lining I think

I would like to avoid a un anesthesised hysteroscopy at all costs

What could the possible next steps be

I wish I'd had my uterus out with my ovaries 6 years ago but at the time I was worried about my TVT/prolapse and rectocele

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post menopause bleeding: had a scan today
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 12:11:59 PM »

Deal with today.  What you know after the surgical intervention may have altered your view point; make a list of your symptoms to chat to the Dr with about the next step.  Hysterectomy is major surgery and you may probably require HRT afterwards.  Something to discuss in detail. 

Let us know how you get on.

Katymac

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 12:25:42 PM »

Stupid isn't it, I am less scared of a hysterectomy (as I have to be asleep) than I am of the hysteroscopy!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 01:10:08 PM »

Nothing is stupid.  It's how each of us deals with our situations.  MayB put histeroscopy into the search box ?

Nellf

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 03:55:40 PM »

Katymac.  I've been bleeding 2 and had my scan last Wednesday.  Been referred to gynae to have a pipeline biopsy.  Unlike you I still have my womb and ovaries.  I had a hysteroscopy about a year and a half ago as I have a large fibroid and as on HRT the need to keep an eye on it.  It was un anaesthetised and I really wouldn't want to have it again so I can empathise with you completely so don't feel stupid.  I don't know if you can ask to be sedated if you are going to be that scared.  Maybe worth asking.  Next step for me is to have a coil inserted.  Hopefully at the same time as the biopsy.  I can't say I'm over the moon about that either.  I'm not sure if that would be an option for you.  Are you on HRT at the moment?

Nellf

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 03:57:08 PM »

Sorry that should have been pipele biopsy  predictive text.....woops😄

Katymac

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 04:01:53 PM »

I've been on hrt since the op with varying degrees of success

Currently not happy with such a high progesterone but I've changed that starting today as my joints are a killer!

Hysteroscopy is not happening without anesthetic & tbh if they have seen anything they might as well knock me out and do it all at once! - but I'm happy to have 2 GAs

I get white coat syndrome and I hate myself for it - and I hate to make trouble!

Nellf

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 04:53:29 PM »

Katymac, you are in charge.  If they can sedate you or knock you out then thats a choice for you to make especially if you have White coat syndrome.  You are more likely to be tense.  If seen women on this forum get hysteroscopy under GA for things like vaginal atrophy.  The staff were lovely when I had mine and told me that they would be guided by me and I was in complete control and they would stop at any moment if I was too uncomfortable.   Please don't worry I'm sure that if you speak with your Gp or Gyne consultant they will respect your wishes.  Good luck with everything I'm sure it will be fine.  Stand your ground and don't do anything you'll be unhappy with xxx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 06:22:11 PM »

Katymac: What else about yourself do you hate?  White coat syndrome is common.  My husband is the calmest person U will ever meet but he takes his BP at home or it shoots up sky high!

We are all entitled to the best medical care that we can source.  Also, without 'making trouble' patients don't get anywhere  >:(

Katymac

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 08:06:38 PM »

My Inability to parallel park without huge efforts and my little fat tummy - everything else is acceptable or quite good really (esp spreadsheets and baking fruit cake)!

Seriously I am a competent capable erudite woman except at the GP/dentist/hospital! Then I become a gibbering wreak!

And I can argue my case with the  best of them virgin media are still reeling from when they tried to gaslight me...but it took over 2 months to pluck up the courage to make a gp appt because I knew my hrt was wrong! Nightmare!

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 10:01:01 PM »

Hi katymac

How long post meno are you?  I'm about 18 months and had some bleeding, my scan results showed normal womb lining thickness, and it has been put down as hormonal (ie the last bit of ovary production).

I've had 2 hysteroscopies, both awake, completely opposite to you, I am scared of being put under.

I'm sure you could request a general anathestic, speak to your doctor who would carry out the procedure and explain your worries.

Katymac

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 05:58:51 AM »

5.5 years I think

I will request and they will make me feel guilty! I do guilt so well

And I've been up for a while with period pains, dragging down - I guess it's all disturbed!

suzysunday

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 09:16:03 AM »

I asked for a general anaesthetic for a hysteroscopy and was given one with no question.  No overnight stay if you have someone to be with you for 24 hours after. Don't be afraid to ask if you feel you can't cope without one. 

Nas

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2024, 09:55:35 AM »

Agree with suzy.
I’m sure a couple of ladies on here, have had a GA for a hysteroscopy.

Obviously it draws out the process a bit more, with pre op etc, but if that’s what you need, then thats what you need to request.

Much depends on the skill of the medic. I’ve had two, both without GA. Both times, the procedure was painless. But I can appreciate this is not the case for all.

Northerngirl

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2024, 12:20:02 PM »

Katymac...it sounds like you are in a very similar situation to me. I'm having a hysteroscopy/biopsy on 31st January under a GA(after failed biopsy awake) I didn't even know that a GA was an option until joining MM. I have a 8mm womb thickening, PM bleeding and other red flag symptoms. When I have mine I will have been waiting 5 weeks and have spent the last 3 months with the threat of cancer hanging over me. Every day feels like a week at the minute. I like you am absolutely terrified....of both the procedure and outcome. I didn't realise how much health anxiety could affect someone until this happened to me. Maybe we could support each other if that helps....a lot of the ladies on here have been a great help to me
Pages: [1] 2