Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Lack of Estrogen  (Read 1087 times)

Midnight Shadow

Lack of Estrogen
« on: January 10, 2024, 07:25:05 PM »

Finally, relief thrush results negative after 7 months. A quick question do you think 7 months of incorrect treatment for my resistant strain of thrush be the reason for my vaginal intermittent ache ( rather like toothache) Yes, it has improved considerably but not gone completely. The doctor said I can try Vagirux pessaries as I reacted to vagifem when I used them latterly, possibly because I had thrush. She agreed to me continuing estriol cream internally when not using Vagirux. Hopefully, I can finally knock all this on the head. It was a different lady Doctor who is new to the practice. She believes they will help. I guess 7 months of wrong medication has affected the ph levels in the vaginal area causing Atrophy to flare. Has anyone had experience of this ache possibly brought on from thrush. Your support over the past months has been much appreciated. Replies appreciated.

Minusminnie

Re: Lack of Estrogen
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 12:23:30 AM »

I've not had thrush on top of VA but i imagine that nerves have taken a bit of a hammering to cause an ache.

If it was me i would now be cautious adding an unknown ie vagirux into the mix but keep trying with the estriol that is known for a while to see if that stabilises things.  Some ladies on here have had problems with vagirux.

Have you ever seen a pelvic floor physio just to be assessed and who from their angle might give an explanation for an ache ?

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 08:26:57 AM »

Thanks for responding Minusminnie. Yes, guessing the nerves have taken a hammering due to having had thrush for so long. No, I haven’t seen a pelvic floor physio. The Doctor did say the thrush, because it was an unusual strain maybe the cause of the ache plus, a lack of estrogen. Hoping the estrogen gets to work very soon.

Minusminnie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 09:37:10 AM »

I found this on Candida glabrata.  Could the doc give you any explanation as to why you had the glabrata strain ? 
i did wince a bit when i read in one of your posts that you play keyboard in a care home but maybe that has nothing to do with it.
Really glad for you that it has gone and hats off for your perseverance.

copied and pasted
"The incidence of Candida glabrata infections has been increasing over the years.

Interestingly, Candida glabrata is more closely genetically related to baker’s yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) than it is to Candida albicans or Candida parapsilosis. Most yeast species that are closely related to Candida glabrata aren’t associated with humans, but are instead found in plants and soil.
Candida glabrata vs. Candida albicans

Candida glabrata differs from Candida albicans in many ways, including:

having a higher resistance to some antifungal drugs, such as fluconazole
    an inability to form hyphae, a long branching structure produced by many fungi
    an ability to grow and divide after being eaten by immune cells called macrophages
    having many genes that don’t have a corresponding equivalent in Candida albicans

The takeaway

Candida glabrata infections are often acquired in hospitals, particularly in people who are being treated with fluconazole, which it can be more resistant to.

Candida glabrata can be involved in the same types of fungal infections as the most common Candida species. While the incidence of Candida glabrata infections has increased over the years, people with healthy immune systems are the least likely to experience this infection.

Practicing good hygiene may make the biggest difference in prevention."

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 10:01:06 AM »

Thanks for posting that, I had actually read that article. Think I am an expert on things thrush and yeast infections. No the Doctor couldn’t advise as to why I had that particular strain. She did ask me why I kept getting thrush, I thought I don’t the treatment you keep giving me isn’t working. That’s before I knew the particular strain. The gum clinic could only tell me the strain, they couldn’t provide the medication I needed neither could the Doctor, hence me sourcing boric acid from the US. It has all been very frustrating for the past 7 months. I sit on my Putnams cushion when I go to the carehome and when I am in cafes. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to respond. Take care yourself.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 10:10:16 AM »

Interesting subject.  From talking to friends as well as reading here, it does seem that 'thrush' is becoming more a problem.

I would add that prior to a period I would get a drawing feeling, as though my bottom was going to fall out with associated discomfort around the pubic bones.  No idea which hormone would be involved but it happened every month then I would forget until the next time. 

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 10:33:40 AM »

Thanks CKLD yes, thrush would appear to be becoming more prevalent amongst us ladies. It’s great when the ache subsides. I had four good days last week, so hopefully it’s on its way. Thanks for your response.