Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT after osteoporosis diagnosis  (Read 1485 times)

Ceebee

HRT after osteoporosis diagnosis
« on: December 18, 2023, 10:40:29 AM »

I have just started hrt for my recently diagnosed OP and was wondering what sort of regimes, products and doses older ladies are on in order to maintain (or improve) their bone density?
I have read that we don't need high doses of E And P for this purpose but without blood tests to measure hormone levels how do we know?

sheila99

Re: HRT after osteoporosis diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 11:10:33 AM »

I think you need 50mcg but if you've been without oestrogen for some time you might start on a lower dose so your body can get used to it. What have you been prescribed?

Ceebee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 11:53:31 AM »

I started on Evorel 25 patch + 100 utrogestan but had problems taking the latter orally or vaginally. Whether it was low E or high P or the utrogestan I still don't know.. Another GP said it was not enough anyway so put me on Evorel Conti. Since it's double the E dose (50mcg) I was a bit nervous and have been using a half patch for 2 weeks which has been fine; but I know I have to increase to full patch soon.
Yet another GP (!) has suggested Evorel 25 + medroxy 2.5mcg so hence my query.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 01:32:48 PM »

It's usually the progestin that causes problems and it looks as though you're OK with the one in evorel. I think there's a good chance you'll be fine on the whole patch but you could  try 3/4 first. I don't know about medroxy.

Bungo

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 04:45:36 PM »

I started hrt mainly for bones . Got blood tests and discovered wasnt absorbing  so I'd definitely get bloods checked a few times. From what  I've read levels of 300 are optimal..Lower levels might be ok if didn't already have low density in order so slow the loss. But I don't want to lose any if can help it during these years( am almost a year since my last period and in last Dexa had lost bone, hence why decided to get bloods tested)