Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Unable to find Mirena on ultrasound  (Read 2670 times)

bluebird68

Unable to find Mirena on ultrasound
« on: December 08, 2023, 03:18:53 PM »

Hi Ladies, I wondered if anyone has experienced the following. About three weeks ago I noticed some spotting, nothing heavy and prior to that white discharge, no smell. So the GP sent a referral, took some swabs. All normal. I then went to sexual health clinic who diagnosed thrush and now on long course of tablets. I had an ultrasound today. The mirena couldn't be seen on the imaging. I have mild cramp pain lower abdomen. Off and on. Anyone experienced the dissapearance of mirena. I am thinking of going private for MRI and slightly worried. Who'd if thought we would have all this stuff to look forward too. Thanks for any help

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Unable to find Mirena on ultrasound
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 04:50:45 PM »

Can they be expelled ?  Is there not a thread to feel ..........

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 06:26:10 PM »

Can you feel the strings?
Taz x

Ana21

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 08:56:12 PM »

Hi bluebird68!

Your doctor will prob want to do an abdominal x-ray to see if it's migrated.  You're experiencing pain.  Expulsion should not be assumed.

You may find this case report helpful:

No visible strings during an IUD check-up [Article in Dutch]
Wendeline C Alderlieste, Jac J W M Jacobs
PMID: 25827147
Abstract

Background: When there are no strings visible during an IUD (intrauterine device) check-up and ultrasound does not show an IUD in the uterine cavity, expulsion is commonly assumed. If the patient has abdominal pain further investigation is advised. This case shows that this policy does not cover every eventuality.

Case description: The patient is a 32-year-old gravida 2, para 2. One month after IUD insertion she developed abdominal pain. The strings of the IUD were not visible with a speculum and ultrasound revealed an empty uterine cavity. Over the next few years the abdominal pain decreased but she developed atypical symptoms that were interpreted as psychosocial in origin. Two years later she presented with new abdominal symptoms and we referred her to a gynaecologist. An abdominal overview X-ray image revealed the IUD, which was removed laparoscopically.

Conclusion: If there are no strings visible at an IUD check-up, perforation of the uterus needs to be considered. An abdominal overview X-ray image, which is relatively cheap and non-invasive, can then easily be taken.

bluebird68

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »

Thank you for the support and detailed reply. If the mirena has been been expelled then I'm still on oestrogen gel, do I need to stop oestrogen or wait until investigation completed, no one to ask. The last scan I had in may this year for something else showed it was in place however I had light spots of blood recently which has stopped and lots of white non smelly discharge. Not sure if it was related.  Only mild cramps so it may be the mirena is lodge somewhere. Is it sensible to keep on the gel until sorted. I was referred under the two week wait so hoping won't be too long.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 09:44:32 PM »

Carry on with the HRT - don't rock the boat at this time of year.  If it's in situ it will be working. 

Ana21

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 09:55:31 PM »

The uncertainty is so stressful.  If I were in your situation, I would call my doctor to report the continued spotting and cramps.  In light of your ultrasound results, I would push to get an x-ray before the holidays.  It's a tough time of year to get appointments.  I'm in Canada.  It may be better where you are. 

bluebird68

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 10:04:33 PM »

It's hard to imagine you wouldn't notice the device if it had been expelled.maybe that's possible if not paying attention.   Anyway thank you so much for all your help ladies.  Xx

Ms Jacks

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 10:35:16 PM »

Hi There.

This happened to a friend of mine about 2wks ago, no sign of Mirena at all.

She was sent to gynae clinic, it was found and removed.

Hope you get on ok

Ms Jacks

bluebird68

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 07:28:15 PM »

Thank you Ms Jacks. Hoping it's the same outcome. Xx

joziel

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 10:36:54 PM »

If you're worried the Mirena isn't in place, you could start some utrogestan - no problem with taking that as well as having the Mirena, and it would just be extra protection in case it's moved out of the uterus.

bluebird68

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 02:38:06 PM »

Thank you all for your support/advice. I thought I would feedback to close the loop and it may be helpful to someone knowing the update.  Firstly this forum has really helped my worries knowing there is someone who understands and suggest helpful things and I am not feeling alone especially at night when the thoughts creep in having someone to share with.  I had a hysterocopy today after they couldnt find the mirena and other symptons like heavy thrush, spotting, lower pelvic pain.  The consultant has located the the mirena, she said that everything looked normal and took a biopsy anyway.  She also said that thrush can cause spotting and swelling in the vagina and can irrititate the bladder which may explain mild pain and wanting to pee.  She also said I have a slight prolapse and recommended pelvic floor exercises.  It has put my mind at rest so once again thank you for taking the time and effort to suggest things that may help.  At least we know now that the ultra sound is not always able to see these devices for whatever reason X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 03:03:25 PM »

Tnx for the update.  U must feel really relieved.

I suggest that you source a physio au fait with womens' health who will give U advice about the correct way to ease the prolapse symptoms.

I would suggest that U get some treatment for vaginal atrophy, it won't do any harm as it mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well.

Good Luck!

bluebird68

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 05:02:38 PM »

@clkd Some physio sounds sensible and the atrophy treatment.  Once the infection (thrush clears) I will look at ovestin as seems popular.  I do have some vagirux tablets to insert.  I think the cream might be soothing.  xx