Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT or Anti Depressants?  (Read 2345 times)

fiftyplus

HRT or Anti Depressants?
« on: November 25, 2023, 05:17:09 PM »

Ladies

What are your thoughts and experiences of which would be the best for low mood, low energy and no libido - HRT or anti depressants?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - this malarkey is all new to me x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT or Anti Depressants?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 07:12:23 PM »

Hi.  Which symptom would U like to ease first?

Do U suffer with depression and/or anxiety surges?  There are some anti-depressants that apparently ease hot flushes.  Anti-anxiety medication comes in all shapes and sizes: Valium 'as necessary' helped me in the 1990s, in the 2000s my GP prescribed a beta-blocka.

HReplacementT may not help with libedo unless the GP thinks that testosterone is required.  Perhaps ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic?  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart your progress which will give you an idea as to how much of your symptoms are cylical.  It also gives you something to discuss with health givers.

suzysunday

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 08:23:48 PM »

Personally I would go for HRT everytime.  My case is probably different than you but I was on antidepressants for a long time Fr my mid forties (no for menopause) and I think they masked/made me not consider symptoms, I don't know, something like that.  I wish I had concentrated on sorting hrt out.

Amerififer

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 08:35:10 PM »

Hmmmm

Good question. :)   I've been on HRT for about a year and a half... was doing okay with regime.   Then realised my mood was low,low ( work stresses, cost of living stessors to name a few ) also add some seasonal effective disorder issues. Spoke with my GP, lucky i've got a good one. Started on escitalopram. So now on both HRT and antidepressant. For me the combo is working well. 
I think important thing is discussion with your GP...everyone is differant. x