Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: What does it mean on sequential hrt and no bleed  (Read 1483 times)

lillith112

What does it mean on sequential hrt and no bleed
« on: November 25, 2023, 07:41:01 AM »

I've been on HRT over 2 years sequentially, always had a bleed after the 12 days utrogestan each month. My bleeds had got really heavy, then last month I had just a 2 day bleed and this month absolutely nothing, not even any symptoms that it's imminent.
Am I right thinking it's lack of estrogen to build the lining up ?  I have to come off the HRT now due to pituitary tumour tests, but had taken it up to this point as wanted the bleed before stopping 🤔

sheila99

Re: What does it mean on sequential hrt and no bleed
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 11:06:44 AM »

I understand your concern but I wouldn't worry about it. When my body doesn't contribute I bleed on average 1 in 3 cycles. Missing one bleed won't do you any long term harm and as you say it's most likely the lining just hasn't built up enough.

joziel

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »

It probably means you are ready for continuous utrogestan and not sequential. Sorry you have to stop, that's tough :(

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 12:20:27 PM »

It may be to do with your pituitary tumour lillith. This affects hormone levels I believe?

Taz x

lillith112

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 07:56:52 AM »

I understand your concern but I wouldn't worry about it. When my body doesn't contribute I bleed on average 1 in 3 cycles. Missing one bleed won't do you any long term harm and as you say it's most likely the lining just hasn't built up enough.

Thanks Sheila, I had a feeling that's what it might be, it's the first time I've not had a bleed so is unusual for me. I've had to stop the HRT now for 3 months 😞

lillith112

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 07:58:55 AM »

It probably means you are ready for continuous utrogestan and not sequential. Sorry you have to stop, that's tough :(

Thanks joziel, I'm not on any hrt now for 3 months. I don't like utrogestan as it seems to make me wired so I don't know how that's going to work out when I go back on it. 🤔

lillith112

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 08:02:02 AM »

It may be to do with your pituitary tumour lillith. This affects hormone levels I believe?

Taz x

Hi Taz, yes the pituitary affects all hormones in the body. It might be related I'm not sure. I was diagnosed over a year ago, it's taken this long for me to see an endocrinologist.

I'm off the HRT now, just on vagifem for bladder issues. The consultant wants to do a baseline blood test to see what m hormones are up to.

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 08:37:26 AM »

I don't like utrogestan as it seems to make me wired so I don't know how that's going to work out when I go back on it. 🤔
Have you tried taking utrogestan vaginally? It made me really wired taken orally, I couldn't sleep even if I took it in the mornings.
Taken vaginally I got other, milder, side effects like local irritation but my sleep was less disrupted.

joziel

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 05:10:46 PM »

If you take it continuously, it's half the dose but every day (one capsule/day) so you might find it doesn't make you as wired... worth a try anyway.

lillith112

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 02:41:04 PM »

I don't like utrogestan as it seems to make me wired so I don't know how that's going to work out when I go back on it. 🤔
Have you tried taking utrogestan vaginally? It made me really wired taken orally, I couldn't sleep even if I took it in the mornings.
Taken vaginally I got other, milder, side effects like local irritation but my sleep was less disrupted.

Pastie supper, yes I've tried vaginally for a long while, but was getting irritation symptoms so went back to oral again. I still felt wired even vaginally. 😞

lillith112

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 02:43:44 PM »

If you take it continuously, it's half the dose but every day (one capsule/day) so you might find it doesn't make you as wired... worth a try anyway.

Joziel, I only take 1 capsule for the 12 days, but still feel wired. I was thinking about asking for a different progesterone, but there isn't much choice, the HRT nurse at our surgery wanted me to have a Mirena coil, but I'm not keen.

pastie supper

• Far too young to be this old
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 07:27:08 AM »

Joziel, I only take 1 capsule for the 12 days, but still feel wired. I was thinking about asking for a different progesterone, but there isn't much choice, the HRT nurse at our surgery wanted me to have a Mirena coil, but I'm not keen.
If you don't do well with utrogestan at a half dose taken vaginally, then I think you are right to hesitate before getting a five year device that you have so little control over.
I was told it was a way to avoid side effects, it wasn't, the side effects came along just the same and I hated it!
That was in my thirties, for heavy periods, I won't get one now although all the doctors have suggested getting it again for my intolerance of other progesterones.
Utrogestan is the best one for me, but still too intolerable for more than a few days.

For myself it's important to be able to have some control over the progesterone part, it's the trickiest thing to get balanced and shoving in a device to pump out microdoses continually might sound good on paper, but in practice it's just the same as using pessaries.