Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Bowel problems  (Read 2354 times)

Northerngirl

Bowel problems
« on: November 10, 2023, 09:08:53 AM »

Do any of you ladies who are postmenopausal have any bowel issues? The last couple of days I've been very loose. Before that I've had urinary issues with blood in urine and am still waiting on that cytoscopy and ct scan.
Really worried about this.....the GP won't start me on any local oestrogen until after the hospital appointments. But I am on oestrogel and utrogestan.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bowel problems
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 10:00:21 AM »

Yep.  10 mins B4 a bleed began I would get 'the runs' even if a period wasn't due.  Then it would start.

In my earlier menstruating years I would feel incredibly nauseous which returned in my later years: 10-14 days B4 a period. 

So yes bowels can be affected by hormonal upheaval.

How long B4 you get your cystoscopy, there should be a 2 week pathway.  If U haven't heard by Monday give the GP a ring and check that the appt has actually been sent!  U should B able to check at the dept how soon you are likely to be seen.

Let us know how you get on. 

Northerngirl

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 10:41:28 AM »

I've got my cytoscopy appointment on 20th November....not 2 week referral, it's going to be 4. Seriously anxious  with it all.Thanks for your reply

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 11:33:12 AM »

I have always had mild IBS but rather foolishly experimented with very high doses of oestrogen and it caused very loose bowels.  I consulted a gastroenterologist a couple of years ago and they said that gut issues and the menopause/HRT go hand in hand because there are so many oestrogen and progesterone receptors in the gut.

Bowel issues are very common on here and I have read that women on HRT are very susceptible to developing IBS as well as gallbladder problems.

Bile acid diarrhoea is another common complaint that can start around this time.

If worried, buy a bowel testing kit in somewhere like Superdrug.  They are proper FIT testing kits made in Germany and they are extremely reliable.  It's also worth testing calprotectin levels but I'm not sure if testing kits are available.

I hope the cytoscopy goes well.

Northerngirl

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 11:42:52 AM »

I have always had mild IBS but rather foolishly experimented with very high doses of oestrogen and it caused very loose bowels.  I consulted a gastroenterologist a couple of years ago and they said that gut issues and the menopause/HRT go hand in hand because there are so many oestrogen and progesterone receptors in the gut.

Bowel issues are very common on here and I have read that women on HRT are very susceptible to developing IBS as well as gallbladder problems.

Bile acid diarrhoea is another common complaint that can start around this time.

If worried, buy a bowel testing kit in somewhere like Superdrug.  They are proper FIT testing kits made in Germany and they are extremely reliable.  It's also worth testing calprotectin levels but I'm not sure if testing kits are available.

I hope the cytoscopy goes well.
Thank you so much for your advice....really appreciate it.
This forum is keeping me sane at the moment  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 11:48:53 AM »

U and many others!

4 weeks ain't nowt to really worry about: but we do get our knickers in a twist with the waiting!