Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 502 times)

jillyt39

• First Flush
Mirena coil
« on: October 31, 2023, 07:42:25 AM »

Morning all, sorry for the long post.
 I have had the coil in for many years and it was a god send no heavy periods etc. At my last change over one of the docs said now I was over 50 (I’m 55) to remove it as my periods will have stopped and I no longer needed it as a contraceptive. What a nightmare I have had since, bleeding every few days light to very heavy periods, constant visits to the doctor (this has been going on for months). It was until about 3 months ago when I spoke to yet another dr within the practice who could not believe that no one had done an examination to make sure it wasn’t anything sinister and after tests and scans, thankfully showing everything was ok that she agreed I should have just had a change of coil and not removed entirely. 6 weeks ago the coil was fitted again and I was told to come off the Utrogestan. A week later I started bleeding again ☹️ only spotting to light but still on a daily basis. I think my question here is ( finally lol) will Utrogestan stop the bleeding and if so is it safe to have them both together? I am trying to get an appointment with the doctor

Hurdity

Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 11:15:26 AM »

Hi jillyt39

:welcomemm:

Your post is not long by any standards! No need to apologise. We're here to help.

Glad all is OK with your womb lining. What I am confused about is your reference to utrogestan and why you are taking this? Were you taking it while you had the Mirena coil or did you go onto HRT after stopping the Mirena due to menopause symptoms?

If you are taking HRT as well then the good thing is that if you have another Mirena inserted you won't need the Utrogestan, because the Mirena also protects the uterus from thickening as part of HRT. Probably unlikely to do you any harm in the short term but I wouldn't want to be taking more progestogens than I needed to protect the womb in the long term - due to potential unpleasant side effects.

In terms of Utrogestan on its own without the Mirena - if you are taking it as part of HRT and do not have any other issues with fibroids or polyps etc then if you are post-menopausal the bleeding should eventually stop - after 6 months, but if you are still peri-menopausal then best to take it cyclically and your bleeds will be predictable.

If you really want no bleed then the Mirena is your best bet - but once you reach or near menopause, if you are not also taking oestrogen then it can leading to overthinning of the womb and potentially ulceration and spotting/bleeding, not to mention progestogenic side effects.

If you can tell us a bit more then we can help further.

Hurdity x

jillyt39

• First Flush
Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 04:49:07 AM »

Hi Hurdity
Thanks for your welcome and reply.
So prior to been told my coil had to be removed. I was on 75mg Everol conti patch and had the coil too ( with no bleeding at all for about 6 years, bliss). When my coil was removed I was put onto Utrogestan 100mg which eventually rose to 200mg. Due to continual bleeding (longest stretch was 32 days) my patch was reduced to 25mg and Utrogestan back down to 100mg and the bleeding stopped, yay.
Now I have had the coil put back in approx 4 weeks ago and stop taking Utrogestan I have started spotting light to medium daily, this has now been going on since the 16th October. I have been on HRT of some form for approximately 7years. I just want to go back to no bleeding again.