Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mini pill in peri?  (Read 576 times)

Amber78

• First Flush
Mini pill in peri?
« on: October 23, 2023, 02:23:08 PM »

Hello ladies 👋
My GP has just prescribed the POP (mini pill) to help try and reduce period heaviness and sort out my anaemia. I'm 45 and in peri with all sorts of fun symptoms! Not sure whether to go on the POP due to increased breast ca risk, also worried it may not sort the bleeding issue out and I won't know what's going on with my cycles. Does anyone have any experience of being on the mini pill in peri/menopause? Or anyone have any advice on taking it at this time of life?
TIA..x

CrispyChick

Re: Mini pill in peri?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 03:06:36 PM »

Hey

I used to take it fine. All my problems started when I stopped the mini pill. So I eventually went back on. But things are big the same now. Now it gives me constant migraines and narkiness.

If I could take it, I'd definitely do so as my other stuff is bad.

My problems are not heavy periods though. It's the one thing I dont have.

I'd probably give it a go. Peri brings so much, if you can at least eliminate the bleeding, that would be one less thing. X

Tulip123

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 07:13:40 PM »

I have been prescribed the minipill by the gynaecologist. I am 47 in peri. I have been on HRT for a year but we think the estrogen dose was too high as in peri we still produce quite a lot of estrogen. I've been bleeding most days and in the last 2 months, I had miserable period pain every single day where I could barely do anything.

The gynaecologist thinks I need more progesterone to lower the estrogen in my system so she prescribed the mini pill (that is in addition to utrogestan, the HRT progesterone). So far it seems to have stopped the bleeding. It's only been a week but that is unusual for me to have no bleeding or spotting in a week. My pain has also gone right down over the past 2 days. At one stage I was so fed up, I thought I'd have it forever because we didn't know what was causing it.

I was keen to try the minipill as my cousin has taken it for years and has had no periods at all. If that happens to me, I won't know for sure when I've passed the menopause but I decided I don't care about that. My symptoms were so bad, I'll gladly take anything to stop it and the minipill can be taken until age 55.

So if I was you, I'd absolutely try it out. It stops all bleeding in over half of women who take it. It's worth a try.

CrispyChick

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 07:40:23 PM »

It stopped all bleeding in me.

Just as aside tulip - have u considered dropping or stopping your Estrogen dose?

I'm using progesterone only. Like you say in peri our progesterone tanks first. Estrogen can be erratic. Prog only treatment is big in other countries, but not a mainstream approach in the UK.

Pixie

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 09:13:27 AM »

I was prescribed noriday alongside my everol sequi recently. I'm 46.
I feel better in the progesterone part of the patches.

I just decided to stop taking it though because my hot flushes returned, haven't stopped bleeding and it made me feel horrible in various ways
Everyone's different, try it and see you can aways stop it again.

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 03:27:03 PM »

I was on the mini pill for a number of years, think I started it age 40, and it stopped my periods completely.  I took it until the menopause. It suited me but I'm not sure now if complete absence of periods was a good thing.  I was given it because I was a smoker at the time, so was preferable to combined pill.