Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Strain of Yeast Glabrata  (Read 10463 times)

Midnight Shadow

Strain of Yeast Glabrata
« on: October 16, 2023, 09:26:02 AM »

Thank you to all the ladies who have offered advice regarding my on going thrush. I have just heard back from the gum clinic that my strain of yeast is Glabrata. This strain of yeast can be resistant to fluconazole. She recommended Nystatin pessaries and Clotrimazole. Phew! at least I might get somewhere now and rid this thrush. So will get in contact with my GP tomorrow and request Nystatin and Clitomazole. Just hope it hasn’t got manufacturing issues. Hope those of us suffering thrush all get relief very soon. Take care.

Minusminnie

Re: Strain of Yeast Glabrata
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 02:25:47 PM »

Thank you Midnight Shadow for sharing all the information that you have gathered.
I’ve noted to head to the GUM clinic if no joy through the GP.
I had oral Nystatin at one time for oral thrush after too many antibiotics it was good stuff.
Hope that you start to feel better soon.  :)

Brownie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 02:37:26 PM »

I've sent you a PM Midnight Shadow so hopefully you got it but glad that they got to root of it. 🙏 new meds work 🤞

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 02:55:37 PM »

Hope you finally get rid of this now. I've just finished taking one fluconazole every 72 hours x 3. Feeling ok today. Doctor refused my second dose so got one myself.  The locum doctor then prescribed my third one and agreed that some (1 in 5) need more than one dose or it will keep coming back. Why is it always a battle? NHS guidelines state 3 x 1 dose every 72 hours if recurring.
If there are so many strains and some resistant then all swabs should be tested for the correct strain, they do this with infections to confirm which antibiotic is needed.
Might be best to go straight to the local gum clinic and not waste time at the GP.
I remember having Nystatin years ago and no recurrence. Clotrimazole are the pessaries so can't do them, unless I try the gel ones. Hoping I don't need to though.
Let us know if this one works Midnight Shadow, I'm sure it will now and you'll be ok, it's been a long time coming.

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 03:12:29 PM »

Thank you for responding Dierdre. Quite agree why aren’t the strains of yeast infection identified from the first swab, instead of having to take unnecessary medication. I hope I can get rid of it now, it’s gone on far too long. I’ll keep you posted. I do hope you get some relief very soon. We shouldn’t have to suffer like this. Take care.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 04:27:54 PM »

:bouncing: :ola:  we shouldn't have to push for treatment  >:(.  Let us know how you get on Girls!  the GP should have tried a different route, surely!  :-\

LDP

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 05:58:34 PM »

Midnight Shadow I am glad they have identified the strain and hope your get the right medication quickly.  It should not have to be this hard!

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 06:08:05 PM »

Thank you LPD for responding. Quite agree it should have to be this hard. In my opinion the strain should be identified from the first swab. Take care.

Ana21

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 06:50:02 PM »

Midnight Shadow,

It shouldn't be so difficult.  I'm sorry you had to suffer unnecessarily.  Hope you're feeling better soon.

Your diagnosis corresponds to something I read recently:

"However, one interesting trend was noticed upon comparing the distributions of Candida species for the different age groups. The data showed significant (P ≤ 0.05) increases in the prevalences of non-albicans species, along with steady decreases in C. albicans, with increases in age. C. glabrata accounted for >18% of isolates in women of menopausal age and older (≥51 years), compared to <4.8% for young adults (<30 years) and <11.8% for middle-aged women (31 to 50 years). 

This increase in non-albicans species, specifically C. glabrata, is an important observation that was reported in smaller studies of the elderly. Similar increases in non-albicans species have been reported for diabetic patients, in which C. glabrata was the primary species isolated. Understanding the changes that occur in patient populations which exhibit higher prevalences of non-albicans species is warranted (i.e., menopausal and postmenopausal women and diabetic patients). Possible explanations include changes in patient physiology, hormone balance, and decrease in immune function."

From the CDC:

"Echinocandin resistance appears to be increasing, especially in the species Candida glabrata. C. glabrata already has high levels of resistance to the antifungal fluconazole, and this resistance has remained fairly constant over the past 20 years, according to CDC surveillance data. Echinocandins are the preferred treatment for C. glabrata, and echinocandin resistance could severely limit treatment options for patients with candidiasis caused by C. glabrata."

Jane_w

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 07:15:33 PM »

Wow, that is really interesting.. its annoying that it seems wet mount slide (microscopy) to identify the strain is generally only available at GUM clinics. My GP even said that the swab they use (& the lab assesment) is notoriously unreliable in identifying thrush sometimes and it does not indicate the strain. No wonder it's a tortuous and painful journey for some. Hope you get some relief soon Midnight Shadow..

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 07:57:31 PM »

Thanks ladies for your response. The article makes interesting reading.  A lady Doctor I saw said it’s unusual for someone my age 66 to get thrush. Well it clearly isn’t. Hopefully, my painful journey will end with this new medication. Thanks again.

Brownie

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 08:05:38 PM »

Agreed, all this info is really useful. I have copied it onto my phone for my next GP visit next week if the latest fluconazole I have taken doesn't work.
(I'm probably on my 7th dose now with a couple of pessaries thrown in + weeks long course of fluconazole, been ongoing for approx 2 months after being on antibiotics)
I wonder what all this medication we are being given that's not working is doing to our bodies.
I may have posted this previously too that I asked the GP I was seeing what else could be given apart from fluconazole or clortimazole+ she said nothing !!!! Hence my appt next week is with another GP.
Again I think I said this B4 but I think you ladies know more than the GPs do xxx

Jenna

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2023, 07:33:11 AM »

I’m sorry you have had to suffer so much with this, Midnight Shadow. It really shouldn’t be so difficult to get the strain identified in the very beginning!

I really hope you can get relief from this now you know the treatment required.

It would appear that GUM clinics are definitely the way forward for thrush problems (my experience also!).

Brownie

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 08:14:06 AM »

Morning ladies
After reading these posts I decided to phone my local GUM clinic + have appt for tomorrow afternoon.
I probably wouldn't have even thought about contacting them if I hadn't read these posts, thank you.
🙏🤞

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2023, 08:26:53 AM »

Hope you get some answers Brownie. Apparently, you can no longer get Nystatin pessaries from the Doctors. The Practice Nurse who dealt with my request this morning on Ask My GP was going to contact the Gynaecologist to see what else they can recommend. Fingers crossed it is something that works. Take care.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4