Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Increasing dose by cutting patches in half  (Read 699 times)

Teaandbiscuits

Increasing dose by cutting patches in half
« on: October 06, 2023, 01:00:06 PM »

Hi, I was on Evorel 50mcg and not feeling great benefit so was put on Sandrena 1mg gel. I felt terrible with this - awful anxiety, felt flat and down, very tearful one minute and ok the next. I asked my GP to change me back to Evorel (although he just wanted to give me antidepressants) and have recently been cutting the patches in half so I can use one and half for 75mcg. I feel so much better on this dose.  My mood is so much brighter, I can laugh again and I feel like I have been walking around under a dark cloud and it’s just lifted. I still have some symptoms like joint pain and terrible atrophy and burning but I feel better able to cope with everything else now.
My question is, is this okay to be doing? I cut the patch diagonally and keep the other half in its packaging. I’m on Utrogestan 200mg 12 nights per month and haven’t had a bleed in 3-4 months. I’m also worried if I go back to my GP he’ll refuse to up the dose to 75mcg. My last conversation with him wasn’t great as he didn’t believe my anxiety and mood could possibly be related to HRT.
Thanks for reading.

Nas

Re: Increasing dose by cutting patches in half
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 01:32:28 PM »

Hi
Just say to your GP, that you feel better on the increased dose and can he alter your prescription.

GPS need to learn that we know our bodies best and should not make life difficult for us.

Good luck 🤞

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 03:11:09 PM »

Usually a gp will prescribe up to 100 so I don't see why he can't prescribe 75. Is there someone else more knowledgeable you can see? If not perhaps you could complain to the practice manager.

Teaandbiscuits

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 04:03:00 PM »

Thanks Nas and Sheila. I really should go back and just ask for an increase in dosage. Hopefully it’ll be easier this time around 🤞.

I don’t need an increase in Utrogestan as well do I? The 12 days seem to be ok for me so far.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 05:50:25 PM »

No, the utro you're taking is sufficient fot 100mg oestrogen.

Teaandbiscuits

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 10:28:06 PM »

Thanks so much Sheila.  That puts my mind at rest.

Winterose

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 09:55:55 AM »

I’m on 100 of Evorel but cut up patches to give me 125 . Tried 150 but that was too much .
Have been on the 125 for 3 years .

I’m sure we all absorb it differently too so maybe to get 100 I need 125 and so on .

Teaandbiscuits

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 12:17:39 PM »

Thanks Winterose. That makes sense about the absorption. The difference between 25mcg has honestly been like night and day.