Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Off to the local Gum Clinic  (Read 1437 times)

Midnight Shadow

Off to the local Gum Clinic
« on: October 05, 2023, 07:21:39 AM »

Just another update re my ongoing Thrush. Took a swab into the Doctors last Tuesday and the results were still heavy yeast growth. Doctor rang me on Monday evening, and agreed with my suggestion of going to the local Gum clinic to find out the strain of yeast. She was going to suggest that. Apparently, the hospitals when sending results back to the surgery don’t identify the strain. Ludicrous in my opinion. Doctor and I are thinking the Fluconazole tablets might be resistant to the strain of yeast I have. Anyway, appointment at the local GUM clinic this coming Monday. Hopefully, get some answers and be put on the right treatment to rid this Thrush. I’ll keep you all posted. Hope you all have a better day.

Dierdre

Re: Off to the local Gum Clinic
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 09:37:13 AM »

Good luck! I'm sure once they know the strain and target it with the right medication you'll be rid of this. It's never ending, I've just took another fluconazole yesterday as had another postive result, that's the 5th in 7 months. I was ok for a while then had a stressful situation that flared everything up, my immune system must be very low at the moment.
Let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 09:45:39 PM by Dierdre »

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 09:53:13 AM »

Thanks Deirdre, for your response. Like you say it is never ending. Hope your Fluconazole works. I will let you know how I get on. No after effects from my Covid injection on Tuesday. Off for my flu injection this pm. Once Mondays appointment at the GUM clinic is over and hopefully I get some positive results I may begin to improve. Not looking forward to Monday, but know I have to be brave. Take care.

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 06:53:21 AM »

Off to the gum clinic today, to see if the strain of my yeast can be identified. Not looking forward to going but need to get this vaginal thrush sorted. I’ll keep you posted as to how I get on. Took another Fluconazole on Saturday, had a good day yesterday, but not good during the night. Fed up with it all now. Let’s hope for a treatment that works. Take care everyone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 09:04:56 AM »

Morning.  Do ask [for me] whether there is a lot more thrush being diagnosed since Covid? 

Also, how is the rest of your body? Tongue OK?  No problems in the groin areas ..........

Good Luck.  You'l be fine!  Our local clinic is in Boots, next to the waiting area for the opticians  >:(

Brownie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 03:06:51 PM »

Did you get anywhere at clinic Midnight Shadow 🙏🤞

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 04:45:23 PM »

Thank you Brownie for asking. Saw a lovely nurse who couldn’t understand why my doctor had not asked the for the strain. I said she did as did I but apparently they don’t identify the strain just say whether it’s thrush or not. Anyway she took two swabs and I hopefully get the results in a fortnights time. I do feel I am improving, not aching as much now. Still have 7 fluconazole to take 1 per week. Will let you know if the swabs identify a different strain which the the fluconazole are resistant to.

Brownie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 05:05:58 PM »

I noticed your reply in other thread too. Fortnight seems a long time?
Anyway when I seen my GP today she seemed reluctant to prescribe me a long term weekly course, said as I was under urogyn (this was private one I went to myself ) wanted to see what he said which I feel is passing the buck !!
I feel like my symptoms are coming on again so I have just taken a fluconazole+ will just take ibuprofen now. Seems in a way the doctors don't know what to do for the best 😔

Brownie

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 05:08:20 PM »

PS, think I put in the other thread that my GP said didn't know what other meds could be given apart from fluconazole/pessary ?

Brownie

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 05:23:21 PM »

Sorry Midnight Shadow

Do you mind me asking has your thrush been constant all this your does it come + go ?

I seem to get rid of it for a few days then it returns unfortunately 😕

Midnight Shadow

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 06:01:57 PM »

I don’t mind you asking at all. My thrush has been constant since the end of June 2023. My swabs keep returning as heavy yeast growth. I fortunately haven’t had any itching or curly discharge, just an annoying ache. Apparently, the thrush affects the muscle in that area. Plus a lack of oestrogen hasn’t helped. The aches have been intermittent and not there all the time, but very waring. Hope you get relief very soon.

Brownie

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 01:35:40 PM »

Midnight Shadow
I sent you a PM but was really just to ask how much thrush treatment you have had over all this time. I feel I have had loads but considering the suggestion of 3 doses 3 days apart x 3. My GP seems reluctant to prescribe anything on a regular basis but I'm thinking that's what's needed to kill the .........

Again I asked GP for alternatives to fluconazole/clortimazole but she didn't think there was anything. I'm actually thinking about going to another older male GP who surprisingly helped me when I wanted to use estriol more than once a week.

I have probably used 3 or 4 pessaries, 7 x 50mg Fluconazole+ probably another 4 or 5 fluconazole since mid August.

I'm 🙏 this goes away for us all soon so we can go back to living our life's the way we should be.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 01:57:09 PM »

I'm confused about why oral medication isn't ridding the body of thrush symptoms, candida I understand lives in the back passage  :-\

Why not target the 'bottom' area too with a pessary or am I losing the gist ?