Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Weight struggles  (Read 554 times)

Obscurity03

• First Flush
Weight struggles
« on: September 19, 2023, 01:28:23 PM »

Hello, I'm new here and was hoping to find some support or encouragement from fellow ladies. I recently moved to the UK and have steadily been gaining weight for the last few months. I'm 47 and wondering if it's perimenopause, especially since most of it is in my belly. I am quite active and do a 90 minute weight training regimen 3-4 times a week, burning up to 600 calories per workout. I also walk a couple of miles 7 days a week, burning about 200 calories per walk. I have a healthy diet rich in protein and veggies and count my calories. I've done these things for years and it's always kept me slim and energetic. Sure, I cheat sometimes, but now when I do, it seems I'll gain a pound or more overnight and the numbers on the scale keep going up and up. I'm to the point where I don't like how I look, I don't feel sexy anymore, I won't let my new husband touch me, and I'm angry more often than not. I just don't know what to do anymore and I'm so unhappy. Is anyone else struggling like this? Thanks for letting me share.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weight struggles
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 04:24:14 PM »

Hi! sounds like peri-menopause from where I'm sitting.  Have U actually gained weight?  When my apron dropped due to loss of oestrogen which is the bodies elasticity, I look fat from above but haven't put on more than a few pounds which have stabilised.  A few go on in the day, back to 'normal' the next morning.

There is a suggestion to print off, read and hand to husbands/partners "Hints for Husbands" - I'll bump it for you.  The Change is normal, sometimes throwing up all kinds of unexpected symptoms  >:(

How long have U been married? 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 04:25:07 PM »

'Advice for Husbands' at the top of this page ...... do read.

:welcomemm: ask away.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use. I would have rages a few days B4 my periods started  :o

VioletAquarius

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 10:04:30 PM »

Yes, weight gain , especially around the middle, is common in perimenopause/menopause.
Not sure what you can do, as you are already active and eating healthy, but would suggest a Google search on how to lose weight during peri, you may have to do a different exercise, ie not weights, to help shift peri weight.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 07:55:38 AM »

May well be peri/age related but as you've recently moved to the UK I would look closely at what you get from the supermarket. Most manufactured products are packed full and sugar and fat so you may be eating far more calories than you expect. IMO they should take a lot of the blame for our obesity epidemic.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 09:14:31 AM »

Is it a 'gain' though or simply that fat has moved South ? ;-)