Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel side effects?  (Read 528 times)

Kai_63

Oestrogel side effects?
« on: September 12, 2023, 07:00:55 AM »

I’ve just increased my oestrogel from 2.5 to 3 pumps. Never really had any side effects from an increase but this time I have nausea and had night sweats (something I haven’t had since before HRT).

Given I never had side effects before, does that mean 3 is too much or should I stick it out?

I upped the dose because of sexual discomfort (i’m already on Vagifem) and feeling a bit down and teary month-round.

I’m also taking utrogestan (did wonder if the nausea might be from this but I’ve been taking it for months), mini pill and levothyrxine for my thyroid. I already split my oestrogel dose (morning and evening).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 07:11:42 AM by Kai_63 »

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogel side effects?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 07:44:50 AM »

Hi Kai63

Sorry to hear about your ongoing symptoms. Do you know whereabouts you are in menopause? It sounds like you are taking a lot of progesterone including the progestogen in the mini pill and many women would find this combo terrible in terms of progestogenic side effects.

In terms of not having had the side effects before - our bodies do change as we progress towards menopause and beyond so this may be the reason. Some women do find that too much progesterone can cause an increase in sweats and flushes because it seems to interfere with the beneficial effects of oestrogen - not sure whether this has actually been established - and if your body has changed this might be the reason. In the past some women on here on cyclical HRT found they needed to increase their oestrogen component when on the progestogen phase of HRT, This doesn't explain what you are experiencing. Yes nausea can result both from increase in oestrogen, and from progesterone - especially oral utrogestan. Perhapas you could try taking utrogestan vaginally for a few weeks and see if this resolves - though nausea due to high oestrogen does tend to disppear anyway?

Depending on your age, and if you are peri-menopausal and given you're taking two different progestogens as well as oestrogen, you might like to think about the contraceptive pill QLAIRA which contains estradiol (the same as in the gel - although orally) as well as one of the newer progestogens (not sure what your mini pill contains).

Sorry I can't be any more help but hoping you manage to resolve your symptoms soon.

Hurdity x

Kai_63

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 07:58:51 AM »

Thank you for your reply.

I haven’t had side effects that I am aware of from the progesterone, I seem to get on Ok with them both, maybe the odd headache but they don’t seem to coincide with my 12 days on Utro. The gynaecologist didn’t seem to think there was an issue when I asked but I guess everyone is different.

The nausea and night sweats literally started as soon as I increased the oestrogel. Not really experienced either before then while on HRT.

I’m 46, perimenopausal for about two years.

Would prefer not to take utrogestan vaginally unless I really have to as I’m in a reasonably new relationship and I already have to take Vagifem that way.

Could I wait and see if the oestrogel settles down after a week or two and then review progesterone?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 08:16:48 AM »

"Could I wait and see if the oestrogel settles down after a week or two and then review progesterone?"

Sounds like a plan....!

All the best
Hurdity x

Kai_63

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 09:27:46 AM »

Thank you!