Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 3 years of HRT, on max dose, and oestradiol level of 84pmol/L - whaaaat??  (Read 422 times)

Desperado

• First Flush

I've been on HRT for about 3 years now, and I'm on 3-4 pumps of estradiol and one utrogestan tablet a day, which my GP has said is pretty much the max. I am suffering with awful sweats so asked GP for a blood test to check my oestradiol levels and the result came back as 84pmol/L. I've had a quick google and this seems quite low, can anyone comment/advise?? What do I need to be saying to my GP when I see her next? Thanks for any advice x

Wrensong

Re: 3 years of HRT, on max dose, and oestradiol level of 84pmol/L - whaaaat??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 06:46:05 PM »

Hi Desperado, yes 84 is low so it seems you are not absorbing the gel at all well, so it's little wonder you are symptomatic.  Your GP should be able to see from the ref range that 84 is very low, but she may not be very knowledgeable about HRT.  84 is less than half way up the postmenopause range for the lab I use, but they do vary a bit.  I'm well postmenopause & my gynae has advised to aim for a level of 300-500 for better symptom relief & osteopenia.  Have you tried patches for your oestrogen?  I find I get much better absorption from Estradot than Evorel.  I would ask to change to patches if you haven't yet tried that method because if you are already on 3-4 pumps of gel you will be running out of body parts to apply more to & as you say your GP is not comfortable with you using more.  An alternative if you have probs with adhesives, is Sandrena gel, which is more concentrated so spread over a smaller area, but if you don't absorb Estrogel well I think I'd try another method in your situation.  Lenzetto spray tends to give quite low levels so I wouldn't advise that in your case.
Wx
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 06:53:19 PM by Wrensong »