Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Has any one suffered from bleeding with vaginal atrophy post menopause  (Read 2953 times)

tina tomato

• First Flush

Hi I am 60 years old have been on evorel conti patches for 2 years and also taking vagirux for vaginal atrophy.  A few months ago I noticed slight bleeding so went to the doctor.  She told me I had to go to the hospital for an ultrasound.  I hoped it would not hurt to much but it felt as if I was being raped.  She told me my cervix was to tight and I would have to come back and be put under general anaesthetic.  I had the  hysteroscophy under general and was tod my womb looked healthy and to wait for the biopsy diagnosis.  Yesterday I was told the biopsy was void as they did not pick up any cells.  Was told I needed to have another biopsy done.  I am at my witts end as I won't go though all that pain again unless they put me under.  Also told to come off HRT for a week to see if this is causing the bleeding! They say there is a small chance of cancer when you bleed post menopause but it does not stop you from worrying. Just wondered if any one on this sight has severe vaginal atrophy with bleeding (spotting) or from being on HRT.  Would love to hear from anyone who has suffered in a similar way!   

Cazikins

Re: Has any one suffered from bleeding with vaginal atrophy post menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 01:19:41 PM »

Hi tina tomato & welcome,
Sounds like it's been a nightmare for you  :hug:
I am now 66 & decided myself to come off HRT about 9/12 ago. l had experienced a lot of PMB before this & was told it's because of the HRT. I have had about 4 Scans & 3, Hysteroscopies in the last 4 years & as I was due to retire thought it was time. Not ever having had a pregnancy all the gynaes said that it may be more painful to endure a hysteroscopy. They were right but somehow I got through them - mainly by almost breaking the lovely nurses hand & singing John Denver songs through out the procedure (don't ask me why J.D. as I have no idea  ;D)...

At the end of July I asked to go back on HRT, I had tried without it for as long as I could & was fed up with the flushes, dry skin, foggy brain. I was offered Bijuve combined capsule. Yep felt good again - however after 23 days started bleeding so my lovely lady GP prescribed 100mg Progesterone to take alongside the Bijuve as she thought the Progesterone in Bijuve wasn't enough for me.

However another 9  days went by & the bleeding was just AS bad. I'm not talking about spotting, I mean full blown flowing. I can only cope with a std size tampon so large sanitary towels needed to be used. So after a total of 37 days I stopped all HRT!

I am now waiting for a scan as I've been referred under the 2/52 rule.

I suffer from V.A. & also lichen sclerosus so there's a lot going on down there.  :)

I can only give you my experience tina, It's such a bloody shame that you have to go through it again but it has to be done for your own piece of mind. Take 1 problem/issue/worry at a time & try not to deal with them at once.

You will get lots of virtual hand holding from the ladies on here.

Love Cazikins x

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 01:22:07 PM by Cazikins »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 04:24:41 PM »

That is simply bad practice!  I would be inclined not to attend for a biopsy again.  If your womb looks healthy? 

Get some appropriate VA treatment, not many get on with vagirux, it's cheaper than 'vagifem' or 'ovestin'.  There may be a bleed if the vaginal skin is thin which should improve with VA treatment.  Some find that 'vagifem' internally as well as 'ovestin' or another moisturiser in the vulval area really helps.

Cazikins

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 06:05:40 PM »

I would be inclined not to attend for a biopsy again. 

I am shocked CLKD, what position are you in to suggest someone to not attend a biopsy?

Do you know tina tomato's full medical history?
Have YOU yourself ever had PMB that required any investigation?

Tina asked this question:

Would love to hear from anyone who has suffered in a similar way!   

This new member needs understanding, suggestions & support.........

Suziemc

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 07:42:53 PM »

Hi Tina

I'm 60, been on HRT for 18mths or so (10yrs post meno but decided against it originally as published risks outweighed benefits for me at time) but I've been using Vagifem for 10yrs or so due to VA.

I had post meno bleeding after 9mths on hrt, had it investigated first by vaginal scan which showed very slight thickening of endometrium, then I had a hysteroscopy and biopsy to check to make sure nothing untoward going on.  I'm fortunate, my VA isn't as bad as yours sounds as the scan and biopsy were just uncomfortable rather than painful.

It was suggested that my bleeding was due to not enough progesterone so I had a Mirena coil fitted during the procedure (had previously been taking utrogestan).. My biopsy was, thankfully, clear.

Could you ask to be put under again? Or some form of sedation? I recently read, can't remember if it was on here or in the lichen sclerosus fb group, of someone being sedated and she managed well with the procedure.

I know its pointless telling you not to worry, but I'm sure a way can be found to do another biopsy without it being painful x

Nas

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 08:23:37 PM »

Hi tina  :)
Sorry to read you are going through this experience. It is most distressing and worrying, i agree.

Unfortunately, there is always a risk of bleeding with HRT, but this is more common than you think. I’ve had numerous PM bleeds over the last few years and have always had to have a scan followed by a hysteroscopy.
Usually the cause has been lack of progesterone. I did have a coil fitted for this reason.

I totally understand how painful or uncomfortable they can be and it’s a shame that the original biopsy came back void.

Please do explain that you require sedation or GA, I think they have to take your request into consideration.

It’s hard to say for sure what the cause of your bleeding may be. It could be a bit of atrophy, or that the oestrogen has stimulated the womb lining and the progesterone in the patch isn’t strong enough.

To come off hrt ? Mmm not sure. Your symptoms may return? They may suggest a change of regime, to help stop the bleeding.

What is important to know Tina, is that you are not alone.

Please do keep us posted x
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 08:28:01 PM by Nas »

tina tomato

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 11:11:08 AM »

Thank you ladies I will post again when things get sorted!

Cazikins

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 06:38:07 PM »

Thank you ladies I will post again when things get sorted!

Do you have a date yet for the hysteroscopy? do let us know & try not to worry.  :)