Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New to HRT age 60  (Read 1034 times)

Moley

• First Flush
New to HRT age 60
« on: August 31, 2023, 09:03:29 AM »

Hi I have my uterus and age 60 3 years post menopause trying HRT for bad insomnia fatigue etc . FemSeven Conti patches for 4 weeks and increasing severe local reaction that I’ve had to stop till HRT clinic soon. Had one heavy 7 day bleed already just started another ?? Anyone similar with any advice ? I am allergic to plasters so likely will struggle with alternative patches thanks
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 09:05:43 AM by Moley »

Flossieteacake

Re: New to HRT age 60
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 09:17:09 AM »

Hello Moley and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you have had a bad reaction to the HRT. I am enclosing a link which will show you the different types of HRT. Perhaps that will be useful for you.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php

KaraShannon

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 11:22:34 AM »

Hi Moley

sorry to hear you've been having a reaction to the patches.  It might be that you can't have them, but to share my own experience, I found if I didn't wash off the prior patch 'glue' or whatever it is properly, then after a while my body would start reacting.  I mean, I have good hygiene and sure you do too, it's more if I ran a soapy sponge over the area but didn't focus on getting the glue off properly, there would be build up.  I also notice that I have to put the new patch in a different place, though we are supposed to change sides anyway. 

It's probably a little more in your case, but just to say be aware of any build up of the sticky material from the patch, it can be invisible.   :)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 02:06:09 PM »

The first bleed might have been expected as it's the withdrawal of progesterone that triggers the bleed during the normal cycle. Not sure about the second one. How long since you stopped hrt and how long since the first bleed? Probably hormonal but if you're worried you could ask your gp. I would try oestrogel next, it seems to be the least likely to cause a reaction, or else spray. I was allergic to evorel but not oestrogel or estradot, not allergic to plasters so this may not help you.

Moley

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 08:40:48 PM »

Thank you I’ll mention to the HRT clinic next week I’ve stopped them 5 days ago been bleeding last two

Moley

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 08:45:23 PM »

Hi Moley

sorry to hear you've been having a reaction to the patches.  It might be that you can't have them, but to share my own experience, I found if I didn't wash off the prior patch 'glue' or whatever it is properly, then after a while my body would start reacting.  I mean, I have good hygiene and sure you do too, it's more if I ran a soapy sponge over the area but didn't focus on getting the glue off properly, there would be build up.  I also notice that I have to put the new patch in a different place, though we are supposed to change sides anyway. 

It's probably a little more in your case, but just to say be aware of any build up of the sticky material from the patch, it can be invisible.   :)
Reply Thanks yes at first I could see the glue was a problem got glue removing wipes and oil gets it off . They are like tiny blisters and burns and driving me mad !

Moley

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 08:47:01 PM »

Hi I have my uterus and age 60 3 years post menopause trying HRT for bad insomnia fatigue etc . FemSeven Conti patches for 4 weeks and increasing severe local reaction that I’ve had to stop till HRT clinic soon. Had one heavy 7 day bleed already just started another ?? Anyone similar with any advice ? I am allergic to plasters so likely will struggle with alternative patches thanks
Reply thank you for the leaflet and welcome I’ll read with interest

KaraShannon

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 09:38:48 PM »

Hi Moley

Reply Thanks yes at first I could see the glue was a problem got glue removing wipes and oil gets it off . They are like tiny blisters and burns and driving me mad !

Oh that's something else to just irritation for sure.

I wonder whether you can use the patch on a different part of your body and see if it's better?  Don't take my word for it, but pretty sure I heard Dr Newson or if not her, another menopause doctor on you tube, say that they can be put on the arm or upper leg (obviously important to check with the arm as near the breast, but it might be worth finding out).   :)

Moley

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 07:41:37 PM »

Thanks I’ve tried both thighs and buttocks I look like a spotty giraffe marks all over !!🦒🦒🦒

KaraShannon

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 11:07:56 AM »

Thanks I’ve tried both thighs and buttocks I look like a spotty giraffe marks all over !!🦒🦒🦒

Sorry to hear.  It's difficult when these things don't work for us.  The only other thing would be to see if you are allowed to place on the upper arm, I'm certain I heard one of the menopause doctor's say this is possible, but aware others day it's near the breast so it might be worth clarifying this.

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 12:17:15 PM »

Hi Moley, I had high hopes for FemSeven conti when they were re-released, but I had terrible skin reaction to them too, so had to stop using them.

I have also tried Evorel conti which is changed twice a week and they didn't irritate my skin at all, neither did Estradot 50 when I used those. I use the gel now all the time.

Hope you find your best solution, a lot of us still struggle!!