Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT and Hysterectomy  (Read 757 times)

Emsie

HRT and Hysterectomy
« on: August 30, 2023, 03:54:26 PM »

Hi

I am 50, and on estrogen patches, 125 mg, plus the mini pill for my progesterone (I have an intolerance and this is the only thing which works).

I have recently discovered I have endometriosis and will be having a total hysterotomy, ovaries all removed. 

Can I ask if anyone has had a hysterotomy how you have got on afterwards, and also what level of estrogen has worked for you? 

My meno GP says I may have to increase the estrogen, but will just have to review it.  I may be able to stop the progesterone, on the basis the consultant confirms all endo has been removed.

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 03:59:28 PM »

Do U feel that you are being rushed into this?

Hopefully those that have had a hysterectomy will join in with advice.  U may need some oestrogen - usually without a womb progesterone isn't required, though I believe that some do benefit from it.

Hasn't your Surgeon any advice or is he/she not au fait with HRT after surgical intervention? 

Do wear a button down nightie, not 1 that pulls over the head as your body may be sore.  Make sure that the freezer is full B4 you go into hospital.  U won't be allowed to lift anything much heavier than a face flannel ;-).   :foryou:

Emsie

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 07:58:44 AM »

No I don't feel rushed the two choices I have been given are to comes of HRT and see if things improve, if they don't then I cant go back on HRT, or have a hysterectomy..there is no way I can come off HRT, not at the moment...took me years to get where I am today. 

Also, TBH if it moves me along the menopause journey to get this over with quicker then that's a double bonus for me. 

Everything about menopause has caused me issues in terms of intolerance to progesterone, I wasn't absorbing the gel so went on the patches.  I have tried 4 different patches, 3 just fall off but all four I have a reaction to the glue...but I can cope with it, provided they stay on.  The reason the endomitosis has got worse is because of estrogen....so having this op the endomitosis will be removed and I will become post meno....hopefully this will end this horrid journey quicker...although I appreciate it may not.

Thank you for your advice, hadn't thought of the nightie idea...

I haven't spoke with the surgeon, but did speak with the meno GP and she says we will need to review it, may need to increase.  If all the endo is cleared then I can come off progesterone...yay!!...

:)

mandss

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 08:12:47 AM »

I had a total hysterectomy 9 months ago, best thing I have ever done. My HRT was increased as soon as I came out of surgery, I was initially on patches but did not absorb enough estrogen. I am now on 3mg elleste solo and feel amazing. Good luck xx

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 08:28:43 AM »

You will probably need more oestrogen and also testosterone. Suggest you get this in progress before the op as most GPs won't prescribe it and if you need a meno clinic the wait can be over a year. Have you discussed the pros and cons of ovary removal? Just that it sometimes isn't the best option.

Emsie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 11:52:51 AM »

Thank you.   

I am already on testosterone, and surprisingly my GP does prescribe this..

We have but the problem is my ovaries are covered in endomitosis and the right one also has a cyst, so he said its best to remove.  The endo is inside and outside my uterus and also attached to my bowel, but thankfully not inside my bowel.

I am quite nervous about the op, but it is keyhole so less invasive...

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 01:53:03 PM »

Good luck, I hope they añade to remove it all.

Nas

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 02:02:13 PM »

Hi Emsie
How did you you discover you have endometriosis? What kind of symptoms did you experience?

I’m wondering whether I may have this, as experiencing alot of abdominal pain and aches. I also feel that any osteogen I take, is feeding a fibroid and ( maybe endo ) but not sure yet.

I would like a hysterectomy with everything gone. Speaking to gynae next week, so will see.

Best of luck 🤞

Emsie

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 02:38:07 PM »

Sorry for the delay in replying, brain cells on short circuit lol.

Well I never got pregnant for a start, despite trying in younger years.

My problems occurred from May 2023, when I had an internal ultra scan, just a check up.  I was told I had a fibroid.  Since then I have been in terrible pain, hard to explain the stomach pain kinda like someone has a needle and they are just constantly stabbing this into my stomach. 

I was bleeding until mid August, but this has now stopped.

If I have sex or an orgasm the pain is worse afterwards for a good few weeks.  Its just mainly stomach pains, its daily, but does vary in how bad it is....when its bad its awful and deliberating...but today its there but isn't stopping me doing things...

They think the internal scan aggravated it, and now it wont settle.

Estrogen can feed this too and make it grow.

How did you appointment go?

xx

Nas

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 05:13:32 PM »

Hi Emsie,
Thanks for replying.
Well, I have a fibroid also, which they think is causing the bleeding and abdominal pain I am experiencing.
It is also being fed by oestrogen from the HRT which I have been taking for a few years now.

Gynae have taken a womb biopsy, requested some bloods and requested an MRI of the fibroid. Got to wait for the results now.

Once they are in, I will be requesting a hyterectomy, with everything gone. I cannot cope with all this bleeding, pain and anxiety. How long all this is going to take of course, is a totally different ball game!

Have you a date for your hysterectomy?
x

Bexs

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 05:59:10 PM »

Good news Nas.

Did they manage to remove your mirena today? If not, what did they say would happen about this?

Take care, Bexs.

Nas

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 06:09:14 PM »

Hi Bexs
The mirena is in the right place with strings visible. The gynae offered to remove it, but I got cold feet at the last minute and told her leave it in! Just in case I have to go back on oestrogen in a hurry and utrogestan just didn’t work for me unfortunately.

So here I am; not happy as I just want a hysterectomy now and it will take forever, i just know it!

Eviction day for you tomorrow? X

Bexs

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 06:36:35 PM »

Yes. That's why I asked as I am getting nervous now!

Where were your strings? Did she just pull them back out to where they should be? Sorry for all the questions.

Nas

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 07:00:55 PM »

Well I am not sure what she did with the strings. But with legs in the most undignified manner and  her peering at me over her glasses, I just said “ leave it be”!!

God it’s a horrible blooming experience all of this!!!!!

Good luck for tomorrow.