Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Should I come off HRT  (Read 1306 times)

JennyD29

• First Flush
Should I come off HRT
« on: August 26, 2023, 04:18:10 PM »

Hi all
I’m 58 and been on HRT for eight years currently on Evorel 25 patches and Utrogestan. Took them for hot flushes. As I’ve been on it for 8 years I don’t know whether I should think about weaning off. Some say yes the longer you’re on it the higher your risks and others say no you get bone and cardiovascular protection. My Gp hasn’t a clue really. Waiting for an appt at a menopause cloning but the waiting list is 15 months  :'(

sheila99

Re: Should I come off HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 04:39:26 PM »

It's up to you. There used to be an age limit of 60 but now you can take it indefinitely if you want to. If you stop the flushes may or may not return, you won't know til you try. If you have osteopenia they recommend 50mcg. There's a video someone posted recently you may find interesting, try putting bmj in the search box.

orrla

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 12:08:39 PM »

I am 68, on HRT from 45, and intend to stay on it for ever!

Each time dosage was cut down, some incurable condition appeared!

First, at 63, it was eczema, after Oestrogen cut, with vascular problems, now my spine collapses after Testo was cut in half, at 67..

To me it is obvious that HRT shields my health. Until 63 I was the healthiest woman from all I knew..and were alive still..

Shortly after we went into pandemic with lockdowns, hrt supply issues appeared and Evorel I was on was not available so I had to take something different, as it turned out much lower dose.

By the end of three months I was sitting at a surgery, with severe hair loss,  breathing problems, weird sensations in my body, and you name it. That's after two episodes of what I thought then were my bladder infections for which I got antibiotic which later turned out to be severe vaginal dryness. Only while there I clicked that it must be hormones! I got back on Evorel, when it became available again,  but few months later was diagnosed with Macular degeneration...

Read what you want from it!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 02:39:47 PM by orrla »

Chrised19

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 08:55:15 AM »

I’ve been on HRT since I was about 45, I’m 61 now and don’t intend to come off it.  Some months ago I saw the nurse at my practice for a check and she congratulated me on the fact that I was still taking HRT as it offers a lot of protections.  I came off it several years ago as, like you, I thought I shouldn’t be on it for too long.  I suffered from aches and joint pains so went back on it and the pain vanished.  I’ve come to the conclusion that HRT suits me.  It’s not perfect and I still get occasional night sweats but I think the pros outweigh the cons. 

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 12:44:03 PM »

Hello JennyD29 and welcome to the forum.

My HRT journey begun when I was three years post meno so my circumstances might be very different.

I came off my medium dose HRT a few years ago and some symptoms did return, namely night sweats and hot flushes, I also experienced vaginal dryness for the first time.
I felt that I could cope with these symptoms and hopefully struggle through and come out the other side. I was floored however by the emotional symptoms which became very intense and I reluctantly returned to HRT.

You are on a lowish dose of Oestrogen and if I were you I would be happy to stay on that forever. You may also find that without it you have very few remaining symptoms.

My suggestion would be to gradually wean yourself off your HRT and see how you go. You may be pleasantly surprised and of course many women do well without ever using HRT.

Whatever you decide I wish you good luck and  please let us know how you get on.

K.