Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Very worried - switching from tablets to gel  (Read 690 times)

photo_jenny

Very worried - switching from tablets to gel
« on: August 12, 2023, 08:15:49 AM »

hi

I just had a phone consultation with my GP and will be switching from tablets to gel, basically so as to be able to control dose better. It is something I really wanted to do, but now I’m really scared.

I’m worried that I haven’t given the tablets enough time to bed in, and terrified that in the changeover I will crash completely like I did before. It was I something discussed with the GP last time, and felt like a really good idea. I’m just really confused.

If it’s terrible, can I just revert to tablets? My mood is still pretty low, and the thinking was that increasing the oestrogen may alleviate some of that.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 03:30:43 PM by photo_jenny »

Nik2502

Re: Home hormone-testing kits
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 08:58:52 AM »

Hi

Won’t your GP do hormone tests?
You can use a home it but they aren’t always reliable and the sample can deteriorate due to the time it takes to get to the lab.
If you do one your doctor should accept the results though.
Have you thought about paying to someone privately? Lots of online doctors now dealing solely with menopause.

Nik x

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 09:06:03 AM »

Hi. I've been using medichecks over the last year and I find the results tie in very well with my Symptoms - so I find them very accurate. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 09:18:18 AM »

Hormonal blood tests are reliably un-reliable which is why GPs won't do them.  One has to be absolutely certain that bloods are taken at the correct time in the cycle and it depends on what you want the test to show.

GPs should be talking through symptoms and prescribing appropriately: we do know however, that sometimes that isn't an option either.

photo_jenny - R U on any form of HRT?  Do you have a history of depression and/or anxiety?  Mine was cyclical so 'within normal limits' for me.  HRT isn't a quick fix.

Tell us more: how R your periods behaving, how old are you etc.. 

photo_jenny

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 09:53:26 AM »

Hormonal blood tests are reliably un-reliable which is why GPs won't do them.  One has to be absolutely certain that bloods are taken at the correct time in the cycle and it depends on what you want the test to show.

GPs should be talking through symptoms and prescribing appropriately: we do know however, that sometimes that isn't an option either.

photo_jenny - R U on any form of HRT?  Do you have a history of depression and/or anxiety?  Mine was cyclical so 'within normal limits' for me.  HRT isn't a quick fix.

Tell us more: how R your periods behaving, how old are you etc..

Hi

I have posted several times recently (and comprehensively) about my history, age, HRT status etc. I’m sorry, but I can’t face going through it all again.

Apologies.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 10:01:35 AM »

Perhaps keep to 1 thread then - so that members don't become lost  :-\. I don't think that many are aware that the subject line can be altered to keep the thread 'current' .

photo_jenny

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 10:08:04 AM »

ok, sorry
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:11:06 AM by photo_jenny »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 10:09:22 AM »

Muggy meno-brain plus Covid doesn't help as I don't have the energy to trawl through threads - many members seem to begin a new thread when changing the subject line is enough.  I'll try to explain how.

photo_jenny

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 10:12:58 AM »

Muggy meno-brain plus Covid doesn't help as I don't have the energy to trawl through threads - many members seem to begin a new thread when changing the subject line is enough.  I'll try to explain how.

You don't need to it's fine.

SarahT

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 10:54:12 AM »

Hi Jenny,
Whilst CLKD is right about potentially losing replies in a different thread, When you feel as bad as hormones can make you, it's hard to lift your head let alone try to work out the techy stuff ( I am notoriously bad at tech stuff). 
The wait to speak to a gp can feel endless. In The meantime maybe make a few notes for your appt so you don't forget to cover all you need to. When your moods are so very bad ( my worse symptom) do ensure you tell them how severe your moods are.
Perhaps think about a self referral for therapy? You can do this yourself without a gp referring you. I used IPAT,  for this.  Whilst there is a  waiting list I do remember the initial assessment was quite quick.
I know this is not an immediate ' fix' But it may helpfully feel you have a bit of control, a positive in getting some help.

I had to speak quite urgently to my gp a couple of months ago, you use the word dangerous to describe your feelings, I know longer felt safe with myself. These severe moods can be addressed, it can take a while to get the right medication, but mine really have begun to improve. Please call your surgery Monday to explain how bad you feel.

Take  care

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2023, 10:57:11 AM »

I agree with SarahT and I have put a 'changing subject heading' thread up for those who are unaware of this availability. 

I didn't mean to be harsh . 

SarahT

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2023, 11:13:38 AM »

Youre not harsh!  You always give such good practical advice and support .Thankfully there  is someone on the forum who knows how to use it a lot better than us techy idiots ( like me!)

I just know when we are in those really bad dips in mood how hard it can be to actually do what is normally a simple task, it easy to feel defeated at those times. X

photo_jenny

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2023, 11:46:34 AM »

Hi Jenny,
Whilst CLKD is right about potentially losing replies in a different thread, When you feel as bad as hormones can make you, it's hard to lift your head let alone try to work out the techy stuff ( I am notoriously bad at tech stuff). 
The wait to speak to a gp can feel endless. In The meantime maybe make a few notes for your appt so you don't forget to cover all you need to. When your moods are so very bad ( my worse symptom) do ensure you tell them how severe your moods are.
Perhaps think about a self referral for therapy? You can do this yourself without a gp referring you. I used IPAT,  for this.  Whilst there is a  waiting list I do remember the initial assessment was quite quick.
I know this is not an immediate ' fix' But it may helpfully feel you have a bit of control, a positive in getting some help.

I had to speak quite urgently to my gp a couple of months ago, you use the word dangerous to describe your feelings, I know longer felt safe with myself. These severe moods can be addressed, it can take a while to get the right medication, but mine really have begun to improve. Please call your surgery Monday to explain how bad you feel.

Take  care

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your reply, it was really appreciated. I'm afraid that I have been having a 'crisis' morning - I've been up since 4.00 and I'm feeling hopeless, basically. If I had known about the thread thing I would have done it. I'm new here and don't know the ropes.

I do have a - lifelong - history of depression, including several hospitalizations. I eventually stabilised after my final stay in 2001, enough to return to work, which I have been able to continue with no breaks. In 2014 I completed a PGCE. With depression, though, it never completely goes so it hasn't been plain sailing and I have had some sticky patches. But overall I have been a different person.

I started HRT in 2016 really just to address my night sweats. These were sorted out and all was good. Any mood fluctuations were situational. The issue now is that I was without the oestrogen component (I have the Mirena coil) for 10 days and my depression came back full force to the point of being suicidal.

My GP has been really good and we do have a plan. I have been back on the oestrogen tablets for nearly 4 weeks, which I know is early days still . The next step is transitioning to gel, which I understand is easier to manage, dose wise. I also know that I have an extreme reaction to progesterone (severe low mood) when I take it on its own and for that 10 days I had only progesterone in my system. I think also my hormones are probably even more haywire because I think I am right up against actual menopause (I'll be 57 in November and my periods have been all over the place, including not having one for 2+ years and then recommencing last summer for 6 months).

Re. therapy, I was having quite a lot of  'general' therapy,  but I think that what I really needed to concentrate on was processing my dad's death - he was a very early Covid casualty; we lost him in March 2020. I did not grieve for him - I think because I couldn't face it. It finally hit me at the beginning of this year and I think I probably have 'complicated grief' - as I'm sure a great many of us have, certainly among Covid bereaved. My GP put me in touch with Cruse, which is great but not sure that I will pursue it - at least till my hormones are stable. I have a very supportive mum and sister.

You're right, it's the waiting that is the killer. I do plan to ring my surgery first thing Monday morning, and will try to see her sooner rather than later.

Once again,  many thanks for your kind words and advice. When I am feeling more up to it I will look into the whole thread heading issue.

Anna.
I agree with SarahT and I have put a 'changing subject heading' thread up for those who are unaware of this availability. 

It's fine, really.  You weren't harsh - I am just really going through it. It's all good.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2023, 11:56:52 AM »

Group  :hug:

photo_jenny

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2023, 12:04:08 PM »

😌