Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New to hrt, concerned and lost.  (Read 751 times)

Clair3

• First Flush
New to hrt, concerned and lost.
« on: August 09, 2023, 05:10:16 PM »

Hi, today my doctor has prescribed me hrt patches, whilst I am hopeful that they will help with the mood swings I am experiencing I am concerned about the side effects. It is mainly the cancer as I have awful health anxiety. I guess I’m looking for reassurance that using them is the right thing to do. Also some instructions… do’s and don’ts when to start etc…. He’s just prescribed them and that’s it ,I’ve had no advice… I’m a bit lost…..it’s the evorel sequi patches I have.

Flossieteacake

Re: New to hrt, concerned and lost.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 06:07:41 PM »

Hello Clair3 and welcome to the forum.

I can understand you feeling unsure especially as the DR did not seem to explain anything to you. I have not used Evorel Sequi but do not worry as many members have and they will be along soon to advice you on how to take them.

I just wanted to say that in the 60's it was reported HRT can have a cancer risk. Sadly this has spread everywhere and people still fear taking HRT for this reason. The study was not done very well and on a small group of women who started HRT at an older age. This was also a type of HRT that is not used any more. I do not know if that is helpful at all but I just wanted to share that with you.

Health anxiety is a very common meno symptom so you are not alone. This is a lovely and supportive place and you will find lots of support on here. :)

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 06:27:17 PM »

Hello Clair,
Just wanted to say hello to you. I am on a different yet regime yourself so again, someone more experienced in your own hrt is bound to offer some advice on that way.
As Flossie says, health anxiety is a common symptom in perimenopause and menopause and there are lots not helpful and supportive threads on this forum which may help you, both in advice and the knowledge that others understand how you feel and you are certainly not alone with this anxiety.
The mood swings are very much my worse symptom and hrt has helped me. Mine is very much cyclical, in that my usual pms becomes more severe when my period is due.
It may help to keep a note of your moods to see if you notice a pattern?

Take care

Emma74

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 04:46:21 PM »

Hi Claire

I was very anxious about putting that first patch on and had the same thoughts as you. I had the patches on my bedside table before braving the first one.

I decided that I would start the patch on the first day of my period that way I could start on day 1. For the next three days every minute I was looking for side effects. I didn't have any!

I would say get it ok with your mind first and don't rush. You'll feel better getting used to the idea, plus if you don't like it you can take it off. Its not permanent. The progesterone is from day 15 for 12 nights (mine is anyway).

Best of luck! Ps. I really helped my anger and rage, positive effects were noticed very quickly for me.

Lesred

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 05:08:58 PM »

Clare I feel your pain I also stared at my Everol Conti patches, for a whole month, before I finally had a moment where I thought you know what I might even feel better, and I did for a while, it wasn’t scary in the end and if it’s not working for you you can always take them off. I’ve just done exactly that after 6 months and it was fine! I’ve been told by GP to have a break to see how I feel, which is also fine, but I really would go back on HRT again if I need it! I think you are on the Sequi version of Everol so I think you only take the conti patch for 2 weeks of the month? I’m sure someone can help with how you take it but I just wanted to say I was very nervous like you but when I finally did it was good and really helped some symptoms.

And just to say I also have a terrible fear of Cancer ( my mum died of colon cancer at 62) she wasn’t on HRT! But as Emma74 says take your time no need to rush, this forum is really good for giving helpful info, I did a lot of browsing in that month before I started, it really helped and I felt ready.

Good luck

Lesred x