Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Post menopausal bleeding after 21 years of no periods  (Read 1392 times)

Pinkcam

Post menopausal bleeding after 21 years of no periods
« on: August 08, 2023, 10:44:29 PM »

I'm 57 and been post menopausal since 2002. I had early menopause - was peri menopausal in late 20s/early 30s & stopped periods approx June 2002. I was finally allowed HRT approx Nov 2002 when I was 37. I was on continuous combined tablet type HRT until Dec 22 (Kliofem was the last one).

I've been taking Vagifem 3 times a week for the last 2 years (after initially taking daily) for VA.

(For info in case it's relevant, I got diagnosed with autoimmune underactive thyroid in Jan 2018, managed with 100g Levothyroxine. I've not had children, not had any women's problems apart from early menopause, not a smoker and weight is within normal range BMI.)

I was very happy on Kliofem HRT but GP suggested transdermal so in Dec 22 I started the following :

2 pumps Oestrogel daily
100g Utrogestan daily,
Testim testosterone daily (after referral to HRT Clinic which triggered change in HRT at same time)
Continued with Vagifem 3 times a week

I've had absolutely no issues with this regime and I've been very happy with it for management of my menopause symptoms.

As there's been shortage of Utrogestan I've been on 5mg Norethisterone daily since June 22. I got prescription for Utrogestan last Fri as in stock locally. I started taking Utrogestan again Saturday. However, by Sunday afternoon I had light bleeding which I thought would pass but it's continued and got heavier. Yesterday & today it's quite heavy with small clots/clumps of blood coming away.

Is this a reaction to being back on Utrogestan which is a lower dose of progesterone than Norethisterone or a coincidence? Like a withdrawal bleed. As well as bleeding I've got cramps & period pain etc, none of which I've had for 21 years! NHS site says to see GP for post menopausal bleeding so I'll do econsult first thing tomorrow.

But I wondered has anyone experienced this, particularly after switching back to Utrogestan from Norethisterone? Or any ideas what could have caused this?
I've searched the forum but can't find anyone with similar situation to mine.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 09:00:32 AM by Pinkcam »

Taz2

Re: Post menopausal bleeding after 23 years of no periods
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 11:29:56 PM »

Hi Pnkcam. Just wanted to welcome you. I'm no expert but as you have had a few weeks on a higher dose progesterone then I think that lowering it could then cause a bleed. I'm sure you will be referred for a scan just to be on the safe side so don't be alarmed by this. I'm sure others will be along soon with more knowledge.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Pinkcam

Re: Post menopausal bleeding after 21 years of no periods
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 06:06:50 AM »

Thank you Taz ☺️

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 12:26:11 PM »

I agree with Taz. Norethisterone seems to be more effective than Utrogestan anyway so it's very likely this is the cause. You may want to get checked out anyway but I don't think you need to worry.

Pinkcam

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 10:40:02 PM »

I agree with Taz. Norethisterone seems to be more effective than Utrogestan anyway so it's very likely this is the cause. You may want to get checked out anyway but I don't think you need to worry.

Thank you Sheila99 ☺️

Pinkcam

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 10:44:56 PM »

Following my econsult my GP rang. He agreed that it was likely to be as a result of moving from Norethisterone to Utrogestan. However, to be on the safe side, he's booked me in for an ultrasound at the surgery on Monday to make sure that there aren't any problems. He also said that I absolutely must contact them if it happens again in the future, so I was very happy with the outcome of my consultation 😊

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 11:34:52 PM »

That sounds a really good consultation. Thanks for updating us and please let us know how you get on.

Taz x

Pinkcam

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 11:05:37 PM »

Had my ultrasound this afternoon and GP sent me a text this evening to say that my scan was normal other than some fibroids which are very common and not harmful. I'm to let them know if I have any more episodes.

So it looks like it was the switching back to Utrogestan from Norethisterone - especially when you consider Norethisterone is used to delay periods. It makes sense that my body would react like that when coming off it to a lower dose.

Thank you Taz and Sheila for your replies 😊
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 10:02:22 AM by Pinkcam »

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 11:17:09 PM »

That is good news. Thank you for updating us.

Taz x  :foryou:

Pinkcam

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 10:02:57 AM »

Thank you Taz 😍