Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mouth ulcers  (Read 1071 times)

Bandango42

Mouth ulcers
« on: August 01, 2023, 09:22:51 PM »

Anyone suffered from recurrent mouth ulcers in peri? I seem to be getting one after the other at the moment, they are so painful and it's getting me down as health anxiety is rearing it's ugly head so I swing between telling myself it's probably low estrogen or I have mouth cancer & will die imminently! It's like an angel and devil on each shoulder 😕

DottyD68

Re: Mouth ulcers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 07:53:46 AM »

Hi Bandango42

I believe mouth problems can be related to the menopause as the mouth dries up however it can also indicate an underlying deficiency which I think can be tested by a blood test. I had problems (not with ulcers but with geographic tongue which I've had since childhood) after I had Covid for months. It indicated I was run down.

I would take a zinc supplement and ensure my diet has got the right vitamins/minerals and also use a gentle mouthwash. Difflam is good. If things don't improve maybe a chat with your GP. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 08:01:46 AM »

Mouth ulcers should clear within 3/4 days in a healthy mouth as the bacteria 'treats' them.  I use 'bonjela' to ease the soreness. 

Bandango42

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 08:31:52 AM »

Yes, I do seem to be getting a dry mouth more these days. Another wonderful symptom to deal with 😩 swishing with warm salt water is definitely helping and I am making sure not to eat/drink anything particularly acidic. I wear a night guard for teeth grinding and I find it really hard to keep my mouth closed, that really exacerbates the dry mouth so I'll mention it to my dentist. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe also mention to the gp next time I have an appointment. They've only appeared in the last week or 2, don't usually suffer with them but I've also been having a return of some peri symptoms which is why I thought maybe it was a sign of low estrogen?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 08:53:54 AM »

R the ulcers along the level of the mouth guard?  I suffered a lot during my teens so they're maybe a hormonal link.

Birdwatcher

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 09:01:33 AM »

I was sent to the maxilla facial dept at the hospital by my dentist for ulcers on my tongue. So glad they did. So maybe a dentist can advise

Bandango42

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 10:08:01 AM »

CLKD - one of them is, yes. So I didn't wear it last night to let it attempt to heal. I've noticed its also starting to make my teeth ache, it's a fitted one so maybe my teeth have moved slightly? The others are really more sore gums which become small ulcers after brushing. They don't last long, it just seems that as soon as one heals, another appears. I have a dentist appt sometime this month so will mention all of this. Although the last dentist I saw (not my usual one) looked at me like I was mad when I mentioned I was peri and thought my teeth had shifted. Almost like 'what's that got to do with anything?'! It's well known that menopause can cause havoc with mouth/gums so yet again another NHS practitioner who probably has no idea 🙄

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 11:09:41 AM »

Whereas my dentist is au fait with menopause  ;)

As we age the gums recede = tooth movement.  Which is why I opted for implants as the jaw bone needs something to work on: same as the long bones so we are advised brisk walking or skipping.

I suspect that the 'thing' doesn't fit well enough and maybe rubs in the night. 

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 08:31:55 PM »

Mouth ulcers can be a sign of low iron or Vit B12.

Taz x