Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please help me  (Read 1522 times)

Annette

• First Flush
Please help me
« on: July 25, 2023, 06:49:28 PM »

Can someone reassure me that the things that are happening to me are menopause and not that Im seriously ill cos I feel like it can't be this bad. I have headaches that make me want to cry, I cry alot, my scalp itches snd my hair is thinning. I feel like I'm not here most days and if I sit down I don't want to get up again. I was a happy person , I'm.now so low. I have no family to talk to for advise. Can anyone give me abit of support please.

Flossieteacake

Re: Please help me
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 06:51:44 PM »

Hello Anette and a warm welcome to the forum.

The symptoms you describe are meno symptoms. I understand how scary it is not to understand what is happening with your body. Before I realised I was going through this, I thought I must have arthritis due to severe bone pain and I was more itchy then I had ever been in my life.

How do you feel about having a chat to your GP about your symptoms? You have done the right thing to join the forum and you are so brave to reach out. You will find so much support on here.

Annette

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 07:05:37 PM »

Thank you. My headaches are so bad I thought i had a tumour as I lost my dad to one. I am going to see my doctor but tonight I got home from work and I literally just sat and cried and I just needed someone to say im not going mad.

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 07:09:00 PM »

Hello Annette,

Welcome, I can only echo Flossie and all she says. These do seem meno related symptoms. and I also did not have a clue what was happening to me. My first post on here was genuinely because I thought I was going mad.

I am sorry you do not have anyone around you to talk with. Please always ask anything you want on here, there are so many subjects and information which may help you, and lots of advice and support.  Most of all this forum really does make you realise that others do understand how you feel and that you are not alone.

Yes, I too would speak to a g.p maybe see if there is a Dr or nurse who is interested in women's heath?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »

I am so sorry you lost your Dad to a brain tumour. I can understand how triggering the headaches must be for you. I know with meno a person can feel very depressed, anxious, stressed, low. With the itching you have along side this I would say it sounds like you have low oestrogen.

I am so glad you have joined here. You are not alone. We are all in this together. I am sending you a virtual hug.

Annette

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 07:12:01 PM »

Thank you it's nice to know I'm.not al9ne

Sue1972

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 07:21:49 PM »

Hi Annette,

This is a great place to come for support and reassurance. I have had every symptom going and have thought I am going to die hundreds of times over the last few years. It was my menopause nurse who recommended this forum and I am so glad she did.

However you are feeling metally or physically there will be someone on this forum who can relate. You will never feel alone or guilty for how you are feeling and you will not be judged. All you will receive is advice from people who totally understand and are either going through the same thing now or have been there in the past.

I, like you, did not realise that the symptoms I was experiencing could be peri menopause. They started at the age of 42 but no one put 2 and 2 together. I was finally diagnosed at the age of 49 after sending a letter to my doctor listing all my symptoms which was passed on to the menopause nurse. It was such a relief to find out I was not going mad or dying!

I agree with Flossieteacake, if you feel you can, you should go and discuss this with your GP or a menopause nurse if your surgery has one. They will be able to rule out any other possibilities for your peace of mind and discuss how they can help you.

Just remember you are not alone in this x

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:26:53 PM by Sue1972 »

Annette

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 07:31:14 PM »

Thank-you I really appreciate the advice

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 07:43:19 PM »

:welcomemm:  how old was your Dad?  MinL had a brain tumour in her mid-80s.  It can be difficult seeings our loved ones deteriorate.

Headaches/migraines may become worse during peri-menopause so getting advice about this aspect is important. 

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out; scalp, skin, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, vagina ...... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be of use?  Let us know how you get on.

Annette

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 08:02:47 PM »

63 years old.
I will keep a diary from tomorrow and take it to my gp appointment. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 10:24:26 PM »

That is no age, I am so sorry.  What do you miss about him the. most?

Post away.  There's usually someone here ...........

Perhaps decide which symptom you would like to ease first?  Do read the 'bladder issues' and threads about vaginal atrophy too. 

Losingtheplot

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 06:35:00 AM »

Hi Hunni

Welcome.  Ahh it is such a scary period in our lives and made me feel exactly the same as you are feeling!  Intense moods, laughing one min and crying the next and losing my temper at the smallest thing.  And then the hot flushes, itching and insane anxiety out of the blue besides much more.
This forum makes you realise that what you are going thru is normal and many ladies feel lost and alone at this time like I did.  This forum is a God send and to the support everyone give each other is amazing.
Continue to post hunni and we are all there for each other xxxxx

Peri2022

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 07:26:25 AM »

Hi Annette, I’m sorry you’re so low. As others have said, these do sound like peri/menopausal symptoms. It can feel like your life is over and things will never improve but with the right care and support, you will feel better. Please take advantage of this forum - there are some special women here and the support is an absolute lifesaver.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 08:37:01 AM »

Hi Annette, you certainly aren't the only one to have no clue what was going on. I like to think of myself as quite well informed, but I thought I had dementia.

During my 40s I did a degree in maths with the OU, I left school at 16 but always wanted to do it. Anyway it started off great, aged 42 at the start I had no mental fog, by the time I finished age 48 it was gruelling. I didn't take a year or two off because I was convinced I had dementia and it would therefore just get worse the rest of my life.

I finished it in a race against my encroaching dementia and won, got a First, so bucket list ticked there, yay.

Since then I've stepped back a little from work and I'm spending a lot more time for myself, my kids are now in their 20s and don't need the same effort from me all the time.

I'm nearly 54 now, I've been trying out HRT for a year and a half now and I've found two regimens that work so I hope to be allowed to use one of them going forward. I have a scan for abnormal or post meno bleeding next month, been waiting since last year for that. After the scan they will tell me what I'm allowed.

I no longer think I'm getting dementia, it settled and I have a new way of thinking I guess, I'm putting myself first more and working less.

If you can't take HRT, I'd recommend Black Cohosh as the hands down winner out of all the herbs you can buy in H&B. I also find mega vitamin C doses helps even things out and general B and D vitamins for hormone support. Magnesium and zinc too, but at different times of the day because each affects the absorption of the other.

Other than that, I'd say the answer is to slow down and expect less from yourself, but that's without knowing the question ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2023, 08:54:55 AM »

Hello Annette and welcome to the forum.

I agree with the other ladies but I wanted to add that daily headaches were a meno symptom for me. I was post meno and had other symptoms when I noticed that I woke up every day with a headache that didn't resolve until late evening when it would suddenly just go and I would feel much better.
My mother also died from a brain tumour so I understand your concerns however I was convinced that mine were hormonal so I didn't worry. I had never been prone to headaches during my menstruating years and I don't have migraines. I was keeping a diary of symptoms at the time and I note that after six months the headaches had stopped and infact they have never returned.

It is very likely that your headaches are due to hormones and I hope you can take some comfort from that.
Wishing you well.

K.
Pages: [1] 2