Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Supplements for combatting tiredness  (Read 1659 times)

Rumbaba

Supplements for combatting tiredness
« on: July 24, 2023, 09:15:06 AM »

Hi all

I am finding that by the early evening, I am soo tired.  Fall asleep watching TV all the time.  I'm wondering if I need some extra supplements, and if anyone can recommend anything please?

I am 5 years post meno, on full HRT (oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone).  currently I take turmeric with vit D, omega 3 and collagen. 

I do work  full time, often starting work at 6.30 am.  It is a desk job from home, but I do try to get to the gym 4 - 5 times a week.  We are also in the process of selling and buying houses, so there seems not to be enough hours in the day.

I eat healthily, rarely drink alcohol and don't smoke.

Any suggestions about how I could improve my regime?

Many thanks

R x

Dierdre

Re: Supplements for combatting tiredness
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 09:29:59 AM »

It sounds like you are full on at the moment and your body is telling you that you need extra sleep, have a few early nights and see if you feel better.

Rumbaba

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 09:39:50 AM »

hi Dierdre

thanks for the reply.  I forgot to mention, I am usually in bed by 9.30 pm (Im so rock and roll  ;D)

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 10:14:42 AM »

I used to be the same, up at 6.30 and falling to sleep at 9pm watching tv. I've never been able to manage very well with less than 10 hours sleep all my life.

Instead of going to the gym perhaps go for a brisk walk or jog outside in the fresh air, that might liven you up. Iron tablets in case you're anaemic, do you eat meat?

Are you happy working from home? I hated it during lockdown, I missed the company and just interacting with people face to face. Could you be feeling stressed or down, that will make you tired.
Moving house is one of the most stressful times in our lives.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 10:38:42 AM »

Morning.

Slow down?  Listen to your body?  I often fall asleep in the afternoons or early evenings, still manage 8 hours over the night.

Thyroid function test might be useful.  Keeping hydrated as the body often tires when 'dry'.

In bed by 9.30 - you know how to live  ;).  I'm in the bath by 9.00-ish, bed by 10.00 and asleep soon after.

Rumbaba

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 12:43:50 PM »

Hi

Again, thanks for the replies.

I don't eat red meat, only fish and chicken. And often a meat free meal.  I do eat plenty of eggs though.  I just checked my last blood panel (Oct 2022) and my iron level was 20.5, which is slap bang in the middle of the ref range (11 - 30).  I drink plenty of tea (Yorkshire lass, me).

I know I need a break, I've only had three days holiday this year (and not together). My contract finishes at the end of this month, so would like some time off, but then if another contract comes up, it will be hard to turn it down.  I simply cannot afford to retire.  I am very fortunate that my partner does all of the cooking, and a lot of the housework.

I don't mind working from home on the whole, but I would like a hybrid position, where I go into the office once a week maybe?  It would be nice to get out of my little study sometimes. And put some nice clothes on etc.  I went into the Exeter office recently, it was like a day out, almost an adventure!!

Moving most definitely is stressful, we are knee deep in trying to work out what the restrictive church covenant means practically.  Seems like its just a means to extort money from house owners.. meh, thats a whole different story

Many thanks again

R x

VioletAquarius

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 08:28:47 PM »

I would ask your gp for a blood test to check your iron and folate levels.