Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Stepping down estrogen — Symptoms?  (Read 1035 times)

Souris

Stepping down estrogen — Symptoms?
« on: July 23, 2023, 01:00:04 PM »

Hello! It’s been awhile since I posted. I have been on 0.05 mg Estradiol patches for about three years (along with progesterone pills). My doctor wanted me to try weaning off, so I dropped to 0.0375 mg patches in May.

I have been feeling not great lately. Frequent headaches, muscle aches, feeling hot for extended periods, nausea and wooziness. Has anyone had symptoms after stepping down estrogen? I always had headaches during the placebo week when I was taking birth control pills, and I felt utterly wretched when I stopped them altogether, so I wondered if my body really doesn’t like estrogen changes.

My doctor doesn’t seem to think it’s related, and we’re doing tests to explore other options, but I would really love to hear if any of you experienced similar. Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 01:08:36 PM by Souris »

Flossieteacake

Re: Stepping down estrogen — Symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 01:33:26 PM »

As you were doing well, what was the reason for decreasing the oestrogen? Reducing the patch would totally explain the way you are feeling now.

Just to let you know, HRT can be taken for life. Sadly some Drs do not seem to realise this.

Souris

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 07:31:11 PM »

Thank you for the reply! My doctor thinks women should be on as low HRT as effective and for as short amount of time as needed. I was curious if I still needed it or could come off, so we thought we would try a step down. I was doing fairly well.

I feel really bad, though. It doesn’t seem like such a small change should affect me so much, so I have been wondering if something else is going on.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 07:58:58 PM »

If I decrease my oestrogen by a tiny bit I feel really unwell. A reduction in oestrogen will cause a person to feel ill if they were on the right dose. Usually oestrogen is reduced if a person displays symptoms of too much oestrogen.

Your Dr is not very knowledgeable about HRT. HRT can be taken for life. You were doing well on the dose of oestrogen so there was no need for the Dr to tell you to reduce it. It is very sad he said this to you because this has caused you to show signs of low oestrogen.

If this were me, I would go back to the dose you felt well on.

Souris

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 10:25:26 PM »

It was my suggestion to try stepping down now, based on her past recommendations.  :o  I’m going to try to get a new prescription for the old amount to see if that helps. How long should it take to build back up my estrogen levels?

Has anyone else had problems trying to step down?

Hairobics

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 06:43:16 AM »

Hi i’m sorry if this is going slightly off topic but i just wondered if you or anyone knew any good advice about stopping patches in readiness for an operation?
i’m having a bladder repair in a month and had to stop them ready and reduce chances of blood clots.
i have been on Evorel 50 for about a year . Can you just st stop if it’s for this reason ? Heard different things.worried i’m going to feel rubbish by the time my operation comes .

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 06:57:41 AM »

It was my suggestion to try stepping down now, based on her past recommendations.  :o  I’m going to try to get a new prescription for the old amount to see if that helps. How long should it take to build back up my estrogen levels?

Has anyone else had problems trying to step down?

Hopefully you will feel better in a week or so. I have tried to reduce my oestrogen a few times and always felt unwell afterwards.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 06:59:21 AM »

Hi i’m sorry if this is going slightly off topic but i just wondered if you or anyone knew any good advice about stopping patches in readiness for an operation?
i’m having a bladder repair in a month and had to stop them ready and reduce chances of blood clots.
i have been on Evorel 50 for about a year . Can you just st stop if it’s for this reason ? Heard different things.worried i’m going to feel rubbish by the time my operation comes .

If you start a new thread you will get more replies from members who have had the same experience.

Welcome to the forum.🙂